Old 25-06-2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Netfloat Heron protection

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me if they've had any experience of "Netfloat" as protection
against herons?

http://www.netfloat.co.uk/

Would be interested to hear how effective or not they are.

TIA

Clive in Kent

Old 25-06-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

""Clive Holden" wrote:

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me if they've had any experience of "Netfloat" as protection
against herons?

http://www.netfloat.co.uk/

Would be interested to hear how effective or not they are.

TIA

Clive in Kent

I don't have any experience with those, but they look like a PITA. I see
them floating into my skimmer or all bunched up on one side of the pond.
Interesting idea though - keep the heron from the edge. I do the same with
thin copper wire strung around my pond. It's been effective since I put it
up.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nerver tried it.

I look forward to seeing how it has worked for others.

Jim

Old 28-06-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I wonder if raccoons would use them as Frisbees?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Registered User

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Clive Holden\ View Post
Hi all!

Can anyone tell me if they've had any experience of "Netfloat" as protection
against herons?

http://www.netfloat.co.uk/

Would be interested to hear how effective or not they are.

TIA

Clive in Kent
last year i bought this netfloat, and put it four rings deep all round the pond, just left the middle half open, lots of fiddly bits and messing about but got there in the end.
Then waited for the usual visit from the heron, it actally WALKED on the netfloat to the open middle of the pond AND STILL GOT MY FISH. bought a lot of it so filled the middle up too. it was the only way to keep heron out of the pond, soon got all sorts trapped in it and on it, couldnt feed the fish and couldnt see the fish. crap idea, i threw the lot in the bin.
save your money, get some large guage pea netting in black, on poles streched over and around the pond far enough away from the edge so the heron cant reach the fish, it doesnt look too bad really- cant hardly see it. ive seen the heron walking around trying to get my fish but it cant now.
trust me netfloat is not a good solution.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

protection Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 29-03-2003 09:08 AM
protection [email protected] North Carolina 1 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Need Ideas, fish protection? [email protected] Ponds 3 26-01-2003 01:29 PM
Greenhouse protection? Donegal Paul United Kingdom 4 28-10-2002 08:22 AM