Old 28-06-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Tropical Lily Maroon Beauty

I bit the bullet today, decided to use my Birthday $$ from ILs for a
Tropical Lily, especially since my E-bay one never did anything, but
dissolve away once put in the pond. :-( And my hardy Virginia has decided
to come back from baby-hood, so I'm a bit lily short.

Unfortunately I forgot there are day & NIGHT bloomers. Lady helping me was
picking them up and reading the names and I was listening for something I
would recognize. Ended up with Maroon Beauty, after a bit of research
sounds nice, but a night bloomer.

Anyone have experience with this lily as far as when it opens in the
evening and closes in the morning?

I had a red flare and I swear that flower only opened when my head hit the
pillow and closed when I got out of bed in the morning. I even went out in
the middle of night to find it hardly open, never like pictured. It sure
was a bright neon pinkish red the rare times I saw it opened in a cup
shape, never flat.

So anyone on the Maroon Beauty? Tx, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-06-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:33:22 EDT, "JDS" wrote:

No - but do Hibiscus just blooms last 1 day?

Yes, you might get 2 if it is a really cool day and night, sometimes
happens in the fall (if we're talking pond hibiscus). ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Maroon Day Lily 2/2 Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 5 07-12-2007 04:58 PM
Maroon Day Lily 1/2 Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 0 05-12-2007 10:33 PM
Maroon flower Padraig Garden Photos 0 23-01-2007 03:06 PM
Madagascar Dwarf Water Lily = Dauben Tropical lily Roy Ponds 4 11-07-2005 12:49 AM
maroon-leaved wild violet? griffon Gardening 8 29-04-2003 05:56 PM