Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa
Default Rebuilding pond/waterfall

I am rebuilding my koi pond and need advice about plants under my waterfall as well as what to do with the edges of the waterfall.

Waterfall previously:

I built a container below the waterfall to plant some ferns, etc. We will plaster the layer of two bricks below the waterfall to have the same artificial rock features

Any ideas?

Then I need ideas what to do with the edges of the pond.We are plastering this weekend: (The area where the book is, was filled up by concrete this week

Thanks for any advice
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Impressive pond.

I am not sure what you are thinking about for 'under' the falls. Do
you mean on the surface of the pond or where it runs down rocks (if
that is where it runs)? What plants have you used before?

Jim

Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I take it all back. I just saw the pic of the waterfall.

It looks as though you have just those two small pockets by the side
of the falls for plants. Whatever you have there will do well to
stand up. Something like parrots feather, which trails down, would
get pulled by the water.

Is the area below the falls out of the way of the water? Will it
splash down into it? Ferns don't like splash very much. Water celery
does better, or the parrots feather, if the grouns is very moist. We
did mint in our pond one year. It thrived and grew slowly.

Others may have better suggestions.

Jim

Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

I attach one photo of the area below the fall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hurley View Post

It looks as though you have just those two small pockets by the side
of the falls for plants. Whatever you have there will do well to
stand up. Something like parrots feather, which trails down, would
get pulled by the water.

Is the area below the falls out of the way of the water? Will it
splash down into it? Ferns don't like splash very much. Water celery
does better, or the parrots feather, if the grounds is very moist. We
did mint in our pond one year. It thrived and grew slowly.

Others may have better suggestions.

Jim
Yes, there are two pockets on the sides and then a central "connection". The water from the waterfall will not splash directly on this area, but it will definitely get a spray. I will change the front of that "flower box" with rock art.

Then another question- this is the top of the wall. What can I do there? Pebbles in cement, paint it black, ??

Thanks
Albie
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Everywhere that you have splashing water on a regular basis will be
covred with algae before very long. It will be a dark paint for you.

Jim

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:50:07 EDT, avz10
wrote:

I am rebuilding my koi pond and need advice about plants under my
waterfall as well as what to do with the edges of the waterfall.

Creeping Jenny? Water Celery? Chameleon Plant? How much sun will that area
get?

Then I need ideas what to do with the edges of the pond.

I'm not sure I'm understanding, did you fill the area with cement and then
the rest with sand so you can plant it? If so, how about Caspian Mint?
Something that is low growing and can be stepped or sat on? Or perhaps a
different kind of Steppable? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

Under the waterfall- basically no sun. Next to the step: shaded, sometimes full sun.

I will take more pictures tomorrow- that might help!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

Well, we have decided to go the pebble route- my family likes it. I have added some plaster to paint as rock art and the bottom will be finished this pm.

Regards

Albie
Old 13-07-2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well, we have decided to go the pebble route- my family likes it. I have
added some plaster to paint as rock art and the bottom will be finished
this pm.
[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1453.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1455.jpg]

Very pretty, are they loose or stuck down?

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1460.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1457.jpg]

Albie

Maybe watercress under the waterfall, or some type of mini marginal?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

The pebbles are cemented- but some are already a bit loose! so I will need to look for tile cement or something.

This is how it currently looks. I was thinking of at least a big fern to the right and perhaps to the left- will plant it in soil, as that part is above the water, but will get enough spray (relatively cold there). Some of the plants that were mentioned are actually water plants, but the plants will be in soil, with drainage (there are holes in the rock art), but probably will have constantly wet soil.

This is what we did yesterday. The art work still needs some work.

The water will probably fall in front of the central area.

Previously- but I have flattened the horizontal part to some extent:

Any new thoughts?

Albie

Old 21-07-2009, 07:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I like the look of your pebbles. It will be interesting to see if
they grow algae or get filled with debris. You could always kill it
with bleech and hose off the debris.

Have you noticed how much it looks like a face (Mouth below, eyes to
the side of the falls)?

Various of the water plants will grow in wet soil (=marsh). That
broadens your spectrum some.

Your photos look nice. Is the inside painted grey, or did you use a
grey color in a surface cement? That would be permanent, where pond
paint will peel relatively soon. Epoxy would be permanent. However,
whichever you have, the algae will cover them quickly. I like the
coloring of the pvc in the pond. It will help it go away visually.
Nice touch.

Grow on! More pics as you proceed, please.

Jim

Old 22-07-2009, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:36:51 EDT, avz10
wrote:

The pebbles are cemented- but some are already a bit loose! so I will
need to look for tile cement or something.

Where will the water level/line be, I assume not over the pebbles? Are
there plans for a short wrought iron fence or fence between the rocked
posts (below) so no one falls into the pond? ;-)

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1488.jpg]

I think ferns are a great idea! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hurley View Post
Is the inside painted grey, or did you use a
grey color in a surface cement? That would be permanent, where pond
paint will peel relatively soon. Epoxy would be permanent. However,
whichever you have, the algae will cover them quickly. I like the
coloring of the pvc in the pond. It will help it go away visually.
Nice touch.
Jim
I have used a product called Coprox that we get in South Africa. One type you mix with normal plaster (which I did) and then I painted with the Coprox masonry waterproofing agent. It has a type of a cement base that infiltrates the plaster. I used their darkest colour- charcoal, but it is too light for me, although everyone assures me that once the water is in, the colour will be better. I wanted to add a black stain, but was too scared that it might harm the fish.

This weekend I will plant ferns, etc under the water fall and fill the pond, just hoping it will not leak!

Albie
Old 22-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Johannesburg, South africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan[_3_] View Post

The pebbles are cemented- but some are already a bit loose! so I will
need to look for tile cement or something.

Where will the water level/line be, I assume not over the pebbles? Are
there plans for a short wrought iron fence or fence between the rocked
posts (below) so no one falls into the pond? ;-)
[color=blue][i]
I think ferns are a great idea! ~ jan
The water level will be below the pebbles, but I suppose it will gather dust, etc. That one can easily clean, I hope.

Any ideas on fixing the loose pebbles- would tile cement be the best option?

With regards to some fencing- this will eventually come, but at this stage it is inaccessible from the street and we do not have small children, but one is aware of the possibility of a fall!!

Any ideas on the types of ferns? It will constantly get a fine spray and will be relatively cool in that spot.
Old 23-07-2009, 12:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Coprox from South Africa! Where are you located? How did you get
Coprox?

Let us know/see how the ferns look. I am looking forward to seeing
them.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Rebuilding lawn Joe J. Gardening 6 24-08-2008 04:29 AM
Grass and lawn rebuilding George.com Gardening 3 31-10-2006 04:42 PM
Rebuilding a Walbro carb Mark Corbelli Lawns 6 09-06-2006 01:56 AM
Rebuilding 'veggie filter' PlainBill Ponds 10 03-11-2005 04:09 AM
Briggs & Stratton Replacement Engines vs rebuilding existing engine Scott Lawns 6 04-06-2003 03:56 AM