#1   Report Post  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,503
Default Sludge Away

Recently I've heard some local reports of people's lilies dying or looking
crispy on the ends. Even fish dying. The above product was the common
factor. The one's with the fish dying was figured to be over use of the
product and not enough aeration going on (big fish died while others
survived.... under the water fall). Flow thru water change was suggested,
as people were going OOT the next day. I haven't heard back on that one.

Today at the koi club meeting a couple others said they had used the
product as directed and had lily pads turn black or crisp up on the edges.
Anyone here have similar problems? I'm thinking there is more in this stuff
than bacteria an enzymes? I was about to purchase some as I thought it was
similar to BZT, but I guess that's not the case, I've never had a problem
with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us


  #2   Report Post  
Old 16-07-2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,503
Default Sludge Away

I'm talking to myself lately...

I wanted to add: this is a Misty Mountain Product. I've had 5 reports now
of plants stunted or dead. The rep told me the only ingredients were
bacteria & barley. Hmmmm?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:15:11 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

Recently I've heard some local reports of people's lilies dying or looking
crispy on the ends. Even fish dying. The above product was the common
factor. The one's with the fish dying was figured to be over use of the
product and not enough aeration going on (big fish died while others
survived.... under the water fall). Flow thru water change was suggested,
as people were going OOT the next day. I haven't heard back on that one.

Today at the koi club meeting a couple others said they had used the
product as directed and had lily pads turn black or crisp up on the edges.
Anyone here have similar problems? I'm thinking there is more in this stuff
than bacteria an enzymes? I was about to purchase some as I thought it was
similar to BZT, but I guess that's not the case, I've never had a problem
with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

  #3   Report Post  
Old 18-07-2009, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,004
Default Sludge Away

this has been a problem with purple bacteria. they make hydrogen sulfide as a
byproduct. Ingrid

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:24:50 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
I wanted to add: this is a Misty Mountain Product. I've had 5 reports now
of plants stunted or dead. The rep told me the only ingredients were
bacteria & barley. Hmmmm?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:15:11 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
Recently I've heard some local reports of people's lilies dying or looking
crispy on the ends. Even fish dying. The above product was the common
factor.

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

  #4   Report Post  
Old 19-07-2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,503
Default Sludge EATER


Still a Misty Mountain Product, but I got the name wrong, it is Sludge
EATER.
---
this has been a problem with purple bacteria. they make hydrogen sulfide as a
byproduct. Ingrid

---
What form does this purple bacteria come in? Does it make the water purple?
Is the product purple? Sludge Eater is dry and looks just like BZT... only
the flakes are a tad larger. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

  #5   Report Post  
Old 25-07-2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,004
Default Sludge EATER

I think I did a whole post about the bacteria that Jo Ann's husband added to their
tanks and killed quite a few of their fancy goldfish she used to sell. He thought it
would help break stuff down and instead it released H2S. They had to bleach their
tanks to kill the bacteria off, no other way of getting rid of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_bacteria
http://www.hikingwithafieldmicroscop...t%20Flats.html

the colonies can be purple colored. dont know what color they are dry. Ingrid

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:46:51 EDT, ~ jan wrote:


Still a Misty Mountain Product, but I got the name wrong, it is Sludge
EATER.
---
this has been a problem with purple bacteria. they make hydrogen sulfide as a
byproduct. Ingrid

---
What form does this purple bacteria come in? Does it make the water purple?
Is the product purple? Sludge Eater is dry and looks just like BZT... only
the flakes are a tad larger. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sludge (yuk) arjay Ponds 13 20-05-2004 10:04 PM
Instead of a Shop Vac for bottom sludge removal - Mike Patterson Ponds 8 18-03-2004 09:34 AM
added sludge digester,, now cloudy *muffin* Ponds 2 04-08-2003 04:43 AM
Green sludge David Hahn Ponds 3 31-05-2003 09:44 PM
vacuum cleaner for water (like sludge )reservoir Neonel Ponds 3 07-05-2003 05:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017