Old 13-07-2009, 08:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default are fish bored in small ponds?

I have noticed a definite uptick in the health of my finches since I started giving
them stuff to play with or busy themselves with. this includes strips of toilet
paper, strips of printing paper, seed heads I cut in the garden, a swing, a parakeet
toy.

Does anyone have any reason to think my koi might be better off with toys or
something to do? maybe a big frozen block of ice with a bit of krill in it? ping
pong balls on the top? I wont do the upside down glass container anymore, is too
heavy to get set up and it has to be cleaned all the time. any other suggestions?

INgrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 14-07-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 13 July, 19:11, wrote:
I have noticed a definite uptick in the health of my finches since I star

ted giving
them stuff to play with or busy themselves with. this includes strips

of toilet
paper, strips of printing paper, seed heads I cut in the garden, a swing,

a parakeet
toy.

Does anyone have any reason to think my koi might be better off with toys

or
something to do? maybe a big frozen block of ice with a bit of krill i

n it? ping
pong balls on the top? I wont do the upside down glass container anymo

re, is too
heavy to get set up and it has to be cleaned all the time. any other s

uggestions?

Mine are certainly curious with new things in the pond. I can't tell
whether it enjoyment as such but they certainly have an interest in
anything new.

Some of them particularly like playing in a current. They'll swim to
the head of whatever I've got set up, then stop swimming and be washed
back down again. Their friends then have a go.

Matt

Old 15-07-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This weekend I did a plant demo at our meeting. One of the easiest plant
suggestions I gave was to make a floating watercress island. 1 mesh basket,
I used 8 X 8 X 6" deep. On the top edge zip tie piping insulating foam
(like the pool noodles for kids) all along the edge. Toss in several
bunches of watercress. It will grow over the edge where the koi can munch
on it. This island can be free floating or anchored.

I know my koi push it around as it will be over by the waterfall as often
as it is over by the no-nitch skimmer. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 23-07-2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
matthelliwell wrote:

On 13 July, 19:11, wrote:
[...]

I've noticed that almost all my fish enjoy the currents coming off my
waterfall, but more so the young ones. No koi, just goldfish

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Really Bored? Ed North Carolina 0 01-03-2005 03:57 PM
[IBC] OT - If you're bored ***** Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-04-2004 12:09 AM
[IBC] bored adam roler Bonsai 29 24-02-2004 05:02 PM
Read this (and be bored to tears)! Cereus-validus Plant Science 5 22-02-2004 06:43 AM
Holes bored in a Bradford pear tree Lou Minatti Gardening 5 23-03-2003 04:08 PM