Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Your Weather?

We hit 108F here in the Columbia Basin of the PNW today (Saturday 8/1).

I went out early while the cherry tree still shaded the lily pond and
removed aging pads and spent blooms. So fun to see all the little wakin
babies swimming around me. Needless to say, once I got out and rinsed off I
hid in the house w/the AC till 8pm when I went out again to feed the fish.
It was still over 90F and now at 11:17pm 89F, guess I won't be sleeping
with the windows open tonight... yet again.s

How about you? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

We hit 108F here in the Columbia Basin of the PNW today (Saturday 8/1).

I went out early while the cherry tree still shaded the lily pond and
removed aging pads and spent blooms. So fun to see all the little wakin
babies swimming around me. Needless to say, once I got out and rinsed off I
hid in the house w/the AC till 8pm when I went out again to feed the fish.
It was still over 90F and now at 11:17pm 89F, guess I won't be sleeping
with the windows open tonight... yet again.s

How about you? ~ jan

Meanwhile, 'cross country in NY. We had the wettest July on record-
and our records go back 183 years. It wasn't terribly cool, so my
tomatoes are doing OK this year, but the high for the month, usually a
high 90's number, was 85. [April's high 90, May's 88, June's 86. . .
seems to be a weird pattern]

I like it. Could do with less rain- but it has been coming in
buckets, not constant drizzle, so we've had some sun to break up the
monotony.

Jim

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

After weeks of very hot weather (mid- to upper nineties) that killed
my late-planted corn :{ we have had a lot of rain. Our acre pond
was down 10". Now it is at down 3" (depth 7'). I had not watered
the blueberries, so they shed most of their remaining berries :{ The
koi pond, on the other hand, is refilled by the toilet float valve and
held its depth just fine. The lilies and WH thrived! We toss arms
full of WH weekly to keep the new growth. The mature ones are now
fully 18". It is interesting, however, to see the difference between
those in the berm veggie filters (18" dark green) and those in the
main pond (yellow/green and not growing much). The koi love the roots
(especially since we are away a good bit and they don't get fed when
we are away.

Jim

Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan has reported my numbers :-)
Update: 72 degrees at 5am today.
I will get out there soon and water a stretch
of grass which has suffered a sprinkler pipe
break, then I will hide in the house! Pond
doing fine.

kathy :-)

Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:27:05 EDT, kathy wrote:

Update: 72 degrees at 5am today.

Yep, and I bet the humidity was 50% or more. ICK! At 10:05am it was 91F
w/18% humidity. Thankfully our humidity is usually low, much over 20% and I
feel like I'm suffocating.

Jim... tomatoes. Mine talked the volunteer Little Jack pumpkin plant,
that is anything BUT little, to grab a fan from the garage and that's how I
found them this morning. I kid you not.

I knew that plant was up to no good when it came up on its own. I planted 9
others and this one volunteer is bigger and taking more space then all 9 of
the ones I planted. It is unnaturally cozy with that tomato plant, I have
to keep cutting it out of the tomato cage. Just one plant and I don't know
how many leads it has coming off it, but its spread now has to be a good 12
feet total going in both directions. I guess I should take a picture now
that I have camera and a photobucket page. :-) Tomorrow... perhaps... when
it is cooler. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
We hit 108F here in the Columbia Basin of the PNW today (Saturday 8/1).

I went out early while the cherry tree still shaded the lily pond and
removed aging pads and spent blooms. So fun to see all the little wakin
babies swimming around me. Needless to say, once I got out and rinsed o

ff
hid in the house w/the AC till 8pm when I went out again to feed the fi

sh.
It was still over 90F and now at 11:17pm 89F, guess I won't be sleeping
with the windows open tonight... yet again.s

How about you? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

=================
It's been abnormally wet here but not abnormally hot. Today
was 92, about right for us. It rained again tonight. All this
rain has our gardens growing like crazy. I'm running out of
canning jars and freezer space.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We finally cooled down into the 80's and surveying the yard the weeds had a
hey-day during the heat. Several days of 80's and I finally have things
under control again.. for now. We even had one cloudy cool day w/a trace of
rain, and may have more mid-week.

I'm sad to see summer go, but I need this cool weather to get me ready and
in the mood for "school".

And my $50 Tropical Lily? Has yet to bloom, even when we were in the 100's
for a week. It has a bud... that's just sitting there. What a BIG
disappointment. I was worried I wouldn't see it because it was a night
bloomer, little did I know I wouldn't see it because it ain't EVER gonna
send up a bud. Grrr! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

How is your weather? Bill who putters Gardening 14 23-07-2009 11:37 AM
Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way. [email protected] Gardening 1 20-02-2008 03:27 PM
How's Your Weather? Data Lawns 12 14-05-2007 09:46 AM
Talk about your fish, not your religion or anyone elses for that matter Daryl S. Kabatoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 21-02-2004 11:20 PM