Old 03-08-2009, 11:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default State of the pond- One year since relandscape

Enjoying my pond so much this year.

Don't know if I ever posted the full pond reconstruction pix from last
year, but here's the album.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...d-the%20story/
Password: snakattack

Beginning pix are last.
Last pictures are more recent. The last picture is from June.

Really lucked out with this. I managed to create a waterfall that has
the right sound, real natural rushing water without annoying plopping or
not enough sound. Very natural. Nice to hear this at night through the
bedroom window.

Part of it was having steps that were placed high enough, and then
stones from the water to land on at the water level. Makes a big
difference. Fish love this area.

Nice here as always for weather (Ventura, CA). Another 75F day. Normal
for Summer. Fog in AM, Sunny in afternoon today. No real humidity (So CA
is desert). Hot inland. 100s in the interior of the state, to be sure.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message ...
Enjoying my pond so much this year.

Good for you.

year, but here's the album.
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...d-the%20story/
Password: snakattack --
Really lucked out with this.

Very, very nice! Thank you for sharing.

I'll take a minute (& it's certainly not worth separate thread--)
to update on our "State of the pond" = not so good this year.
So, I've been too disgusted to post much (any??).
(but everyone's advice on my pond scum last year helped with that!)

Petty rant,
Why in the world do racoons insist on doing the
silly damage they do?
(I do understand, why they do what they do, to the fish!)
Why do they take the rocks from around the pond,
and throw them into the pond?
Why do they take the ornaments from in the pond
and throw them out?
Why do they chew/tear up the filters?
(certainly not edible, or is it like kids insisting
on popping the "bubble wrap"? )
Why do they just tear up & break up the plants?
How do they know when I have events schedulled
that cause me to leave the ponds unprotected?
Grrr.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

a425couple wrote:
How do they know when I
have events schedulled that cause me to leave the ponds unprotected?
Grrr.

They have tapped into your on-line calender?

Chip

Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The details about why will be unclear, but I would bet a lot the
answer to each question is something like: FOOD

Jim

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:22:59 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Nice here as always for weather (Ventura, CA). Another 75F day. Normal
for Summer. Fog in AM, Sunny in afternoon today. No real humidity (So CA
is desert). Hot inland. 100s in the interior of the state, to be sure.

And that's why everyone wants to live there and the real estate is so
high... even in depressed times (from the outside looking in). ;-)

That aside, you've made your yard into a beautiful welcoming area where
anyone would want to get out of the house to go sit & relax. Absolutely
lovely... magazine article quality. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-08-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:22:59 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Nice here as always for weather (Ventura, CA). Another 75F day. Normal
for Summer. Fog in AM, Sunny in afternoon today. No real humidity (So CA
is desert). Hot inland. 100s in the interior of the state, to be sure.

And that's why everyone wants to live there and the real estate is so
high... even in depressed times (from the outside looking in). ;-)

That aside, you've made your yard into a beautiful welcoming area where
anyone would want to get out of the house to go sit & relax. Absolutely
lovely... magazine article quality. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Thanks Jan,

We spend a lot of time out there. have a portable fire pit that we put
out for gatherings in the evenings.
That's when the fish show themselves, anyway.

Amazing how these fish are still spooked from the Heron that came well
over 2 years ago. Hard to coax them out, but hate the thought of
removing so much of the surface greens. I still think it's prudent to
leave the big flat rock in that acts as a cave for the fish.
Only problem is, they all hang out under it.

Yours is pretty awesome!
Hindsight is always golden with ponds.
From what I know now, I would have made a larger pond- pretty well maxed

out the area it's in now, so it would have had to have been planned for
when I originally landscaped the area.

Another pond would take up too much space.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:14:53 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Yours is pretty awesome!
Hindsight is always golden with ponds.

Thanks, and isn't that the truth. I put in 2 ponds because my sister said
you need to have 2 so you can move the fish into one when you drain the
other and clean it out. s I ended up being her teacher in the end. With
bottom drains and out-of-the-pond filters, one never has to remove fish. I
could have had a much bigger pond. But could never bring myself to destroy
what I already have. Why I put in the lily pond... I do have more room in
the back yard... but what I have now keeps me busy enough. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: