GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   duckweed vs aerator (part 2) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/186873-duckweed-vs-aerator-part-2-a.html)

Galen Hekhuis 27-08-2009 02:28 AM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

It's been about two weeks since I threw the bubbler in the pond, and
while the clear area is not static (it shrinks and grows), it does
encourage some optimism.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../aug262009.jpg

On another note a night heron visits the pond in the late afternoon.
It's a stocky bird, and it doesn't really look like a heron at all
until it stretches its neck out. It usually keeps its neck close to
its body and its chin down. I have no idea what it eats.

~ jan[_3_] 27-08-2009 12:54 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:28:29 EDT, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

It's been about two weeks since I threw the bubbler in the pond, and
while the clear area is not static (it shrinks and grows), it does
encourage some optimism.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../aug262009.jpg

Woo Hoo! That is an improvement, how clear is the water now that you can
see down-under sort a speak? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Jim Hurley 27-08-2009 12:55 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

Your open space is doing better than the economy, although both are
moving ahead. Has the duckweed become more packed or is there death
at the margin of the open space?

Jim

Galen Hekhuis 27-08-2009 02:54 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

wrote:

It's been about two weeks since I threw the bubbler in the pond, and
while the clear area is not static (it shrinks and grows), it does
encourage some optimism.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../aug262009.jpg

Woo Hoo! That is an improvement, how clear is the water now that you can
see down-under sort a speak? ~ jan

I can see down about a foot, that how deep the water is when I can't
see down anymore because of the bubbles and the ripples. There
appears to be some tanin in the water, though I can't say how much
right now.

Galen Hekhuis 27-08-2009 02:54 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:55:05 EDT, Jim Hurley
wrote:

Your open space is doing better than the economy, although both are
moving ahead. Has the duckweed become more packed or is there death
at the margin of the open space?

There is some discoloration of the duckweed around the edges. It's
only a couple of centimeters wide, however, and I don't know if it's
dying duckweed or just debris that collects at the edge.

Kurt[_2_] 28-08-2009 12:30 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Galen,

I think you put up the wrong pictu

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tory/aug262009.
jpg

kathy[_3_] 28-08-2009 12:30 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

You know me and critters - google is my bestest friend -
night heron's diet is made up of crustaceans like crabs and crayfish. It sometimes eats fish, eels, mussels, frogs, tadpoles, aquatic insects, snails, and small snakes.

kathy :-)

~ jan[_3_] 29-08-2009 02:01 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

Egad, that actually startled me. Got a little adrenal rush there, sheesh! ~
jan

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:30:29 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Galen,

I think you put up the wrong pictu

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../aug262009.jpg

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Galen Hekhuis 29-08-2009 02:54 PM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:30:29 EDT, Kurt
wrote:

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Galen,

I think you put up the wrong pictu

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../aug262009.jpg

Now you understand my reluctance to put fish in there.

Kurt[_2_] 30-08-2009 01:38 AM

duckweed vs aerator (part 2)

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:30:29 EDT, Kurt
wrote:

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Galen,

I think you put up the wrong pictu

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../aug262009.jpg

Now you understand my reluctance to put fish in there.

You at least have one. :-)