Old 31-08-2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Baby toads

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on speed.
Then, in late summer, we begin to get the army of toadlets. They have
just begun their exodus from the ponds. Little tiny guys hopping
away. I am always glad when they begin appearing just after I have
cut the grass...as this year. Every day now, I see the tiny hoppers
supplying the neighborhood with bug catchers.

Old 31-08-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on speed.

Is this what yours sound like? [with a MS accent, of course.g]
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/media/comptoadfs.mov

Then, in late summer, we begin to get the army of toadlets. They have
just begun their exodus from the ponds. Little tiny guys hopping
away. I am always glad when they begin appearing just after I have
cut the grass...as this year. Every day now, I see the tiny hoppers
supplying the neighborhood with bug catchers.

Cool-- Our toads in NY got out the pond the end of June.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...orldJune25.jpg
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5079.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5096.jpg

Found one on the lawn Aug. 5th. He wouldn't stay in my hand for a
picture so I chased him around our patio with my camera.g
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/August05.jpg

Must be in NY they have to get going so their big enough to survive
winter. Our first frost averages mid-September & the bug population
drops severely from then on.

Jim

Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on speed.

Is this what yours sound like? [with a MS accent, of course.g]
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/media/comptoadfs.mov

I just realized I could upload video to photobucket. Here's mine
with that annoying NY accent.g
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...dcall_0002.flv
[after a couple days of this non-stop, it lost its appeal.]

Jim

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on
speed.

Is this what yours sound like? [with a MS accent, of course.g]
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/media/comptoadfs.mov

I just realized I could upload video to photobucket. Here's mine
with that annoying NY accent.g
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...dcall_0002.flv
[after a couple days of this non-stop, it lost its appeal.]

Jim

Nice clip Jim.
If anyone has a problem opening a .flv file, VLC.exe does it fine
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on
speed.

Is this what yours sound like? [with a MS accent, of course.g]
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/media/comptoadfs.mov

I just realized I could upload video to photobucket. Here's mine
with that annoying NY accent.g
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...0Life/american
toadcall_0002.flv
[after a couple days of this non-stop, it lost its appeal.]

Jim

Nice clip Jim.
If anyone has a problem opening a .flv file, VLC.exe does it fine

or open it through your web browser.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you really need to size these to something around 600 x 800. Ingrid

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:10:04 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...orldJune25.jpg
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5079.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5096.jpg

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for mentioning that. My browser opens them at about 700x500 -
I didn't even notice that the originals were more like 1400x1000.

I've got some more to upload & I'll resize the lot of them. most look
better at the lower res anyway.

Jim

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JimE those are some really cute toad pics! Thanks for chasing them down.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: