GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/186985-moving-some-flora-fauna-indoors-winter.html)

Jim Elbrecht 01-09-2009 01:12 PM

Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

I'm in NY & winter will be here all too soon.

I've got an Elephant Ear I need to bring in & figure I might as well
bring in some lettuce and Water hyacinths.

Through an aquarium store accident I've got a 1/2 dozen Apple snails
that will need to be brought in if they are to survive--- so I figured
I'd bring in a dozen Rosy Reds to keep them company.

My first thought was a mini-pond with all that stuff in a 50gallon
aquarium. Now I'm wondering if a smaller aquarium & a couple
buckets would be a better idea.

What do other folks 'rescue' - and how do you do it?

This setup will be in my basement with artificial lights and a 60-65'
temp.

Thanks,
Jim

kathy[_3_] 02-09-2009 01:03 AM

Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

I've brought in marginal plants and put them in a large
aquarium that was in my son's bedroom. Got morning
sunshine. Bullfrog tadpoles have come in, crayfish and
one year we had a damselfly hatch out of there and fly
around the house.

This year I am bringing in mini palm and society garlic
in buckets. Where I will put them.... I've yet to figure that
out.

kathy :-)

[email protected] 05-09-2009 08:57 PM

Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/VF/veggie_filter.html
altho these days it is simpler. I use a 150 gallon rubbermaid with an airstone, a
tiny pump to just move the water around and 2 shop lights to overwinter my cyperus.
Ingrid

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:12:22 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm in NY & winter will be here all too soon.

I've got an Elephant Ear I need to bring in & figure I might as well
bring in some lettuce and Water hyacinths.

Through an aquarium store accident I've got a 1/2 dozen Apple snails
that will need to be brought in if they are to survive--- so I figured
I'd bring in a dozen Rosy Reds to keep them company.

My first thought was a mini-pond with all that stuff in a 50gallon
aquarium. Now I'm wondering if a smaller aquarium & a couple
buckets would be a better idea.

What do other folks 'rescue' - and how do you do it?

This setup will be in my basement with artificial lights and a 60-65'
temp.

Thanks,
Jim

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

~ jan[_3_] 06-09-2009 01:32 AM

Moving some flora and fauna indoors for the winter

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:12:22 EDT, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm in NY & winter will be here all too soon.

Yup, but since I go back to work with the school season I'm ready for it.
Lots of work to teach and keep up with my hobby & yard, plus family duties.
Anyway... I do have a mini pond in my living room. Beckett use to make
them, nice with tile on the side, wood frame top and bottom, liner of PVC.
Now they're all solid plastic, black. I have a bucket filter with bell
fountain hooked to small pump within. I bring in my taros, palm and
sometimes small fish. Though I haven't bothered with fish lately I may put
a small wakin or two within this year. And I may try to winter my T.lily in
there. Gets kind of crowded much beyond having the taros, so we'll see.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us