Old 14-11-2009, 06:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Predator Unk

I came home to something unusual today. There was a decapitated goldfish,
about the size of my hand, laying on the bank of the pond, with the head
nearby, both underneath the bird netting I'd placed over the pond to keep
out leaves. It's the typical black netting, about 1 inch squares, that I've
used for years. The netting will get weighted down with leaves and will rest
on/near the pond's surface until I shake them off and pull it back taut
above the water's surface.

The head looked cleaning severed. The body wasn't in too bad shape, a few
scales missing but I didn't notice any puncture marks on it before I placed
it in it's final resting place, the mulch pile.

I'm thinking GBH. Got frustrated that it couldn't pull the fish through the
netting and flew off, though I would have expected there to be more damage
to the fishes body. Maybe got tangled in the netting and took off? Maybe it
was spooked in my driving up and flew off before it had much time to make a
meal out of it's kill.

Any other ideas from the group?

This is a first in my 10 years of ponding.

TIA

JB

Old 15-11-2009, 12:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'm with you. I would suspect a GBH. They killed some of mine trying
to pull them through the netting. The net has to be about 18" above the
water.

Old 17-11-2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I knew that my fish population looked down when I started removing all the
dying vegetation from the summer growth a few weeks ago. I'm guessing a GBH
has been a frequent visitor but unnoticed by me until last week after
putting up the netting. I did have a couple of GBH sightings last winter so
it's not a surprise. Not welcome either! ;-(

"ReelMcKoi" wrote in message

m...

Old 20-11-2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

something in the weasel family. they always start by chomping off the head. INgrid

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:27:21 EST, "JB" wrote:
I came home to something unusual today. There was a decapitated goldfish,
about the size of my hand, laying on the bank of the pond, with the head
nearby,

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 29-12-2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
m...
Case solved. GBH standing by the pond when I woke up this morning. sig

As long as they see fish in your pond you will never get rid of them.
One GBH cleaned out a small pond full of beautiful shubunkins in one
morning. The way that pond was set up I couldn't net it like I did the
larger ponds. I gave up and filled that pond it.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:21:57 EST, "JB" wrote:

GBH seen pond side this morning. Here we go again. sigh

Why I started leaving my screens on all winter. Predator protection, a bit
of insulation that holds the heat in, keeps winter flying debris out. Lots
less worry for me... #1. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:21:57 EST, "JB" wrote:

GBH seen pond side this morning. Here we go again. sigh

Why I started leaving my screens on all winter. Predator protection, a
bit of insulation that holds the heat in, keeps winter flying debris out.
Lots less worry for me... #1. ;-) ~ jan

Herons have been around for about 15 million years. A lot longer than us.

The government saying we can't kill, hurt or scare them ensures they'll
still be here when we're gone. ;-(

Happy ponding in 2010!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Lucky me - two GBHs yesterday. Leaf netting remains until the spring though
I did manage to lose one fish in spite of this. The GBH was unable to pull
the fish through the netting and I found it, decapitated, lying on the
pond's edge, underneath the netting.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
m...
GBH seen pond side this morning. Here we go again. sigh

-----------------------

They were the bane of our lives until we netted the ponds. Now with no
fish, they stopped coming around. I'm selling off all my pond stuff
including the Lotus. We'll be moving before next winter. I'll leave
the ponds in the ground with water pumps to keep them from stagnating.
Everything else is going.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

If its practical, perhaps rebar could be placed over the pond, it could be used to make an a-frame, or flat...

Cover that with plastic and you have both predator, and a cold frame to improve winter protection, at a time when fish are more vulnerable to predators

While your fish are behind bars and under a cover, Mr GBH won't be able to know they or the pond is there, let alone catch anything even if they do...

A bit drastic, but doable

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Den Unk Dark Purple v_coerulea Orchid Photos 1 11-06-2008 12:37 AM
Unk Dends K Barrett Orchid Photos 3 02-06-2008 10:56 PM
Den unk white Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 25-04-2008 11:53 PM
180g planted predator tank [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 18 19-05-2003 08:32 PM
Nectarine Tree: Leaf Predator The Ranger Edible Gardening 1 30-03-2003 02:32 PM