GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Across the pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/188474-across-pond.html)

Galen Hekhuis 01-12-2009 10:19 PM

Across the pond

I made it across the pond and up the north bank to this view of the
pond beyond the pond:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0991.jpg

I "gardened" the overhanging branches until I could clear away enough
growth to get close. Then I tied the kayak to a tree (so it wouldn't
float away) and hauled myself out of the kayak and up the bank (3 to 4
ft is all) to where I could peer into the pond beyond. I turned
around from where I took the first picture and got this shot of the
kayak I just left:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0992.jpg

Then I went back to the kayak, fixed a rope for next time, got in and
paddled back. The days are short this time of year, and shortly after
I got back the sun dipped below the trees and the temperature plunged
into the high fifties. I went inside the cabin and took this shot
through the window:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0997.jpg

You can see the white rope I left on the other side. I'm going to
replace the white rope with some camouflage line so it won't stick out
so bad. It isn't very far, but it's a whole new world to me.

I found out that Photobucket lets you publish the URL for a whole
"album." So if you want to see a bunch of pictures of the back pond
here is the URL:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x278/ghekhuis/
..

~ jan[_3_] 02-12-2009 05:52 AM

Across the pond

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:19:10 EST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0991.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0992.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0997.jpg
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x278/ghekhuis/

Great shots... but where did that heron shot come from? ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Chip[_2_] 02-12-2009 09:25 PM

Across the pond

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
I made it across the pond and up the north bank to this view of the
pond beyond the pond:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0991.jpg

I "gardened" the overhanging branches until I could clear away enough
growth to get close.

Looking at your pictures reminds me of my college days. We went to the
U of Florida in Gainesville. A good friend was a townie living with her
single mother. They had a huge backyard that had not seen a lawn mower
in about 20 years. We all thought that a good x-mas present would be to
clean up the yard for them. About 10 of us spent 3 days trying to tame
that jungle. Many of the animals and reptiles that lived back there got
really mad at us. Finally we called a truce and let the back 1/2 stay
the way it was. The people could sit and recreate near the house, but
nobody ever ventured out to the back line.

Chip

Galen Hekhuis 03-12-2009 06:42 AM

Across the pond

wrote:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0991.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0992.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMGP0997.jpg
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x278/ghekhuis/

Great shots... but where did that heron shot come from? ~ jan

I shot that picture out by the front pond, but that bird (or one just
like it) comes by the back pond so I thought I'd include it.
..