Old 16-12-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Cold!

The data on the thermometer is: Taylor Wireless Weatherguide System
with remote sensor, Item # 1524, SKU 7778401524 7. They had it on
sale at Ace Hardware.

Old 17-12-2009, 01:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:52:59 EST, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I should put a digital thermometer in my pond-- have you mentioned
what you have in yours?

Jim

I have a Springfield, but apparently it is hard now to find long wired
probes? The probe goes in the pond and hooks to 1 unit and then it is
wireless to the unit in the house. Apparently one has to buy an actual
"pond" one and you know how that adds to the price and the probe wire isn't
very long, like 3 feet. If you want to know what the bottom temp is, and
your pond is 3' or more that means the sensor is right at the edge of the
pond, not a good place for it to be. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-12-2009, 01:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Cool, how long is the wire? What's the brand? ~ jan

Ace hardware has a thermometer set that includes a remote, on-a-wire
waterproof sensor. Placed next to the pond, that lets us read both an
air temp and a water temp...from inside!

Early Christmas gift for Phyllis?

Jim

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-12-2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hiya Ingrid! :-) Have the temps been that moderate there?

We often say they sometimes died for no apparent reason. Better that then
finding them 1/2 alive and going thru all the stress of trying to save them
only to have them die anyway... imho.

I have a question, does koi pox go away when the temps get real cold?
Noticed it on one koi this fall, one I've had for several years. Got a peek
the other day and didn't see them (can't say it was the best peek) so I
might be mistaken. ~ jan

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:15:18 EST, wrote:

Well covered my pond finally this last Saturday. Went out to check the temp on the
pond Monday (went from 42 to 46 in 1 day) and found my first dead koi in 8 or 9
years. used 2 different ammonia kits, nothing. too cold to do much of anything at
all. The koi was too far gone to do a necropsy on it. bummer. Ingrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 20-12-2009, 01:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 16 déc, 07:59, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I will take a look tomorrow.

Want one for about $10 plus postage? If they have one left, I would
get it for you.

Jim

Yes, I want one! I will mail you a check if you can get one.
Martine

Old 20-12-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 17 déc, 10:58, ~ jan wrote:
[...]

Well, we have been having a really cold spell (minus 20 for the last
three days!). The hole in the pond got completly covered over. This
morning, I went out with the pick and opened up the whole and.... fell
through the ice! Luckily, I had my husband's boots and so was not in
my little suede boots that would have become blocks of ice!
But the good news is that at least, the pond is not freezing up, the
snow I keep piling on top must help. I have a feeling I will have to
keep picking at the hole to keep it open all winter. Just hope I don't
poke a whole in my liner!
Jim, if you can get a thermomether, I will very gladly send you a
check for it.
Martine

Old 20-12-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

" wrote:

-snip-

Well, we have been having a really cold spell (minus 20 for the last
three days!).

I think if I lived north of the border I'd use F in the winter. It
would warm you up 16 degrees.g

The hole in the pond got completly covered over. This
morning, I went out with the pick and opened up the whole and.... fell
through the ice!

Aside from the dangers of falling through & poking a hole in your
liner- I read somewhere that pounding on the ice would harm the fish.
Any fishkeepers care to comment on that?

My little pond is only about 200 gallons and the 1000w stock tank
heater I float in it is overkill- but I only use it when it is going
below 15F [-10C] for a few days running with no daytime thaw.
Otherwise the heat from the pump keeps things flowing.

For you southern folks- and folks who 'winterize' their ponds and pull
the pumps, I took a few photos today to show you what you're missing.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20Pug%20Pond/

It is ever-changing sights like these that keep us snowbirds from all
running south.

Jim

Old 20-12-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Aside from the dangers of falling through & poking a hole in your
liner- I read somewhere that pounding on the ice would harm the fish.
Any fishkeepers care to comment on that?

Yes, that is my understanding. Just like depth charges going off around a
submarine so I've heard.

For you southern folks- and folks who 'winterize' their ponds and pull
the pumps, I took a few photos today to show you what you're missing.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...%20Pug%20Pond/

Great pics Jim! The problem with screens, I can't see the surface like
that. We have warmed up into the low 40's and staying above freezing at
night. Today I went out and checked the lily pond for the first time in a
long while. Interestingly there appeared to be more thick ice around the
heater and bubbler than anywhere else. I do think that corner, if the area
gets any sun at all due to the 6 foot fence, doesn't get much due to
neighbor's ever green trees. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-12-2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pounding on ice

fish have both very good ears and the lateral line which is exquisitely sensitive to
pressure. pounding on ice can kill the fish. the fastest easiest safest way to make
a hole in ice is a drill (and not an impact drill). Ingrid

I went out with the pick and opened up the hole

Old 21-12-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It has been unusually mild this year, but I do have a 500 watt heater in the pond.

I dont think koi pox ever goes away. I have one with a good dose on his tail. It
doesnt seem to change with water temp. There seems to be an individual
susceptibility because none of my other fish have been infected. Ingrid

Old 21-12-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 20 déc, 09:05, wrote:
fish have both very good ears and the lateral line which is exquisitely s

ensitive to
pressure. pounding on ice can kill the fish. the fastest easiest sa

fest way to make
a hole in ice is a drill (and not an impact drill). Ingrid

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:03:21 EST, " martine.pet...

@uqo.ca
wrote:
I went out with the pick and opened up the hole
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Ok, you have me convinced! I'm putting away the pick and am going out
this morning to buy a heater. Right now, I only have the bubbler. This
morning, aging the hole is completly covered. I can see the bubbles
which means the ice is not very thick but I better do something before
it's too late!
M.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Calling for the coldest weather in 24+ years in central Arkansas on Thursday
and Friday: single digits each night and below zero further north. Brrrrrr!
I've not had a pond in this type weather before. I'm thinking about placing
a large tarp over the pond for these two days to try and hold in some warmth
and keep things from freezing up. 3,000 gallon pond, tear drop shaped 12 X
20.

"~ jan" wrote in message
I think this is the first time since I got wireless thermometers that we've
gotten this cold (SW Washington State) without snow cover for insulation.
The lily pond that just has a 100 watt heater + bubbler is holding fairly
well close to 40F at the bottom.

The koi ponds, otoh, with slow moving water and a 1,000 watt heater is
slowly losing heat. The heater on a calm near freezing day will actually
drive the temp up to 40F before I turn it off to save power. Our current
temps are in the teens, much less w/wind chill (thus wind blowing any heat
away near the surface) and the temp is 34.7F for the koi! Brrr! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-01-2010, 02:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:45:21 EST, "JB" wrote:

Calling for the coldest weather in 24+ years in central Arkansas on Thursday
and Friday: single digits each night and below zero further north. Brrrrrr!
I've not had a pond in this type weather before. I'm thinking about placing
a large tarp over the pond for these two days to try and hold in some warmth
and keep things from freezing up. 3,000 gallon pond, tear drop shaped 12 X
20.

Hope you have more than a tarp, looks like the cold spell is holding. Air
bubbler may be needed. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: