GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Water Lilies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/188576-water-lilies.html)

JJ[_3_] 08-12-2009 02:44 PM

Water Lilies

I leave my lilies in the pond all winter long. It's a 475 gal. preformed.
The pond never freezes however sometimes the top does freeze but no more
than an inch.
Location is East TN USA.
My question is is it necessary to cut off any pads that might still be
floating on top to prevent any damage?

Comments Thanks

Jerry

~ jan[_3_] 08-12-2009 11:02 PM

Water Lilies

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:44:43 EST, "JJ" wrote:

I leave my lilies in the pond all winter long. It's a 475 gal. preformed.
The pond never freezes however sometimes the top does freeze but no more
than an inch.
Location is East TN USA.
My question is is it necessary to cut off any pads that might still be
floating on top to prevent any damage?

Comments Thanks

Jerry

Not to the lily. Ponders remove the pads & stems as they'll eventually rot
fouling the water for the fish. No fish, no problem. If fish, be sure you
have adequate air with aeration by air pump as rotting vegetation using up
O2. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

JJ[_3_] 10-12-2009 03:23 AM

Water Lilies

I understand about the decaying & fish. One year I had two lilies that
refused to bloom. Thought that it might have gotten frozen causing them not
to bloom. I do have about a dozen goldfish surviving for about 6 years now.

Thanks for the lily info, I can sleep tonight.......

Jerry