GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Return of the otter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/188954-return-otter.html)

Galen Hekhuis 03-01-2010 08:03 AM

Return of the otter

This morning when I got up it was 33, still above freezing.
Unfortunately, by dawn it was barely clinging to 32, and shortly after
sunrise it dipped to 31, before it began to rise again. Now it's 9
o'clock and approaching 40. So I'm staring, sort of slack-jawed out
at the pond, marveling at the bits of frost I can detect, when out of
the duckweed arises an otter! It pops up just long enough that there
is no doubt in my mind it is an otter, then it submerged below the
duckweed before I even begin to get a camera. I've seen (wood) ducks
several mornings also, and turtles, too. I'm beginning to think that
most of the critters live in the "pond beyond the pond" and only
venture now and then into the pond that I can see.
..

~ jan[_3_] 03-01-2010 01:48 PM

Return of the otter

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 02:03:14 EST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

This morning when I got up it was 33, still above freezing.
Unfortunately, by dawn it was barely clinging to 32, and shortly after
sunrise it dipped to 31, before it began to rise again. Now it's 9
o'clock and approaching 40. So I'm staring, sort of slack-jawed out
at the pond, marveling at the bits of frost I can detect, when out of
the duckweed arises an otter! It pops up just long enough that there
is no doubt in my mind it is an otter, then it submerged below the
duckweed before I even begin to get a camera. I've seen (wood) ducks
several mornings also, and turtles, too. I'm beginning to think that
most of the critters live in the "pond beyond the pond" and only
venture now and then into the pond that I can see.
.

Is it almost like if you stare long enough something will appear? ;)

New Year's Eve we had snow, and more snow, then freezing rain, then pouring
rain. Last night a Chinook wind blew in and when I got up this morning all
snow was gone. Temps hit 50F down by the koi ponds. So I took the
opportunity and did a water change. Rain or snow to come again tomorrow...
I'm thinking it will be rain at this time. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

kathy[_3_] 04-01-2010 01:39 PM

Return of the otter

How fun to see an otter!
Maybe your pond is Vacation Pond.

kathy :-)

ReelMcKoi 04-01-2010 04:22 PM

Return of the otter

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
This morning when I got up it was 33, still above freezing.
Unfortunately, by dawn it was barely clinging to 32, and shortly after
sunrise it dipped to 31, before it began to rise again. Now it's 9
o'clock and approaching 40. So I'm staring, sort of slack-jawed out
at the pond, marveling at the bits of frost I can detect, when out of
the duckweed arises an otter! It pops up just long enough that there
is no doubt in my mind it is an otter, then it submerged below the
duckweed before I even begin to get a camera. I've seen (wood) ducks
several mornings also, and turtles, too. I'm beginning to think that
most of the critters live in the "pond beyond the pond" and only
venture now and then into the pond that I can see.
.

==================Nothing stirring on our ponds. They have a heavy coat of ice on them.
It's 25F here with snow flurries. It's probably about 10 with the
wind-chill. If it weren't for my Dr's appt I wouldn't leave the house.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Kurt[_2_] 06-01-2010 01:45 PM

Return of the otter

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

This morning when I got up it was 33, still above freezing.
Unfortunately, by dawn it was barely clinging to 32, and shortly after
sunrise it dipped to 31, before it began to rise again. Now it's 9
o'clock and approaching 40. So I'm staring, sort of slack-jawed out
at the pond, marveling at the bits of frost I can detect, when out of
the duckweed arises an otter! It pops up just long enough that there
is no doubt in my mind it is an otter, then it submerged below the
duckweed before I even begin to get a camera. I've seen (wood) ducks
several mornings also, and turtles, too. I'm beginning to think that
most of the critters live in the "pond beyond the pond" and only
venture now and then into the pond that I can see.
.

You must be very close to the ocean.

Wow, such a difference climate-wise this time of year for those of us
around the US. We had 81 degrees here a couple days ago. Water in the
pond is still warm enough (above 41 certainly) to feed my fish every few
days (wheat germ formula). Water Hyacinth still growing. Had to clean
the pond Sunday.
Great time of year in So. Cal. Otters (ocean) are about a mile away from
me, but don't ever make the trek up the roads to my pond.

Galen Hekhuis 07-01-2010 03:24 PM

Return of the otter

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:45:26 EST, Kurt wrote:

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

This morning when I got up it was 33, still above freezing.
Unfortunately, by dawn it was barely clinging to 32, and shortly after
sunrise it dipped to 31, before it began to rise again. Now it's 9
o'clock and approaching 40. So I'm staring, sort of slack-jawed out
at the pond, marveling at the bits of frost I can detect, when out of
the duckweed arises an otter! It pops up just long enough that there
is no doubt in my mind it is an otter, then it submerged below the
duckweed before I even begin to get a camera. I've seen (wood) ducks
several mornings also, and turtles, too. I'm beginning to think that
most of the critters live in the "pond beyond the pond" and only
venture now and then into the pond that I can see.
.

You must be very close to the ocean.

About 15-20 miles I guess. this is a fresh-water otter, as are the
ducks, etc.

Wow, such a difference climate-wise this time of year for those of us
around the US. We had 81 degrees here a couple days ago. Water in the
pond is still warm enough (above 41 certainly) to feed my fish every few
days (wheat germ formula). Water Hyacinth still growing. Had to clean
the pond Sunday.

This is pretty rare for us. Usually it only dips below freezing one
or two nights in a row, but this is almost a week of nights below
freezing! Yesterday it struggled to get into the 40s, and it is only
tomorrow that we might have a night above freezing. Then two more
cold nights, and things begin to warm up again. I have to admit it
was a very warm (2009) early part of the winter, as it didn't freeze
until Dec 30 or so. Maybe we are getting over the real nasty stuff
now and the rest of the winter will be pretty mild. I can hope, can'
I?

~ jan[_3_] 29-01-2010 02:22 PM

Return of the otter

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:24:48 EST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

This is pretty rare for us. Usually it only dips below freezing one
or two nights in a row, but this is almost a week of nights below
freezing! Yesterday it struggled to get into the 40s, and it is only
tomorrow that we might have a night above freezing. Then two more
cold nights, and things begin to warm up again. I have to admit it
was a very warm (2009) early part of the winter, as it didn't freeze
until Dec 30 or so. Maybe we are getting over the real nasty stuff
now and the rest of the winter will be pretty mild. I can hope, can'
I?

We went mild soon after the new year. Weeks now with high temps in the
40-55F. I haven't had to turn the pond heater on, which is good looking at
my latest utility bill from mid-Dec. to mid-Jan. Yikes! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us