GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Jackson is really cold! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/189070-jackson-really-cold.html)

Phyllis and Jim 11-01-2010 12:25 AM

Jackson is really cold!

Phyllis and i just got back from a week on the Caribbean. Wet,
somewhat cold, but nice.

Jackson, on the other hand, is freezing. The pond has 1.4 inches of
ICE on it. That is a first! Never quite this much. The weatherman
says we will have 18 degrees tonight. We may enhance the record. The
fish seem fine. Not really that bad for y'all in Michigan, but really
a lot for down here.

Good news, the pipes have not frozen while we were away!!! The kids
left the door under the kitchen sink open...as we asked...because that
is where freeze will happen if it does happen.

May your ponds be thriving (even in Florida).

Jim

Phyllis and Jim 13-01-2010 12:41 PM

Jackson is really cold!

The ice got to 1.75 inches. It has melted back to almost an inch.
Amazing how fast it comes and goes.

Jackson is definitely not ready for cold. Three days between 15 and
30 degrees brought 100+ breaks in the water mains. Mostly from
shifting clay, they say. We live just outside the city, so we did not
lose our water. We have houseguests from the city. It may be several
days more before water is right in the city. The state government and
most businesses have closed because of the breaks.

Jim

Phyllis and Jim 01-02-2010 02:24 AM

Jackson is really cold!

Where to next?