GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   News from northern Florida (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/189353-news-northern-florida.html)

Phyllis and Jim 07-02-2010 03:40 AM

News from northern Florida

I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Chip[_2_] 07-02-2010 11:31 PM

News from northern Florida

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Is not a koi but a carp in fancy dress?

Chip

~ jan[_3_] 07-02-2010 11:55 PM

News from northern Florida

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 18:31:25 EST, Chip wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Is not a koi but a carp in fancy dress?

Chip

Pretty much, but don't tell the fanatic koi person that. ;-)))) I'm sure
they'll argue the point. They don't think koi with long-fins are koi
either, regardless of how fancy they're dressed up. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 09-02-2010 02:57 PM

Carp in Great Lakes

Funny how a rose is a rose is a rose...but a koi is not a carp...well,
perhaps a relative.

I just saw a news clip on TV explaining that the govt is spending $650
million to try to handle grass carp in the Great Lakes. They must be
following our discussions!

Jim

housefull 19-02-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Hekhuis (Post 876268)
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:31:15 EST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Our triploid grass carp keep local ponds totally clear of vegetation.
My koi and goldfish think duckweed is a great treat. Local carp
could work well for you. A thought: Two can become more than two.
Would one do?

I need to make clear that what I know about fish could probably be
inscribed on the head of a pin with plenty of room left over. I was
under the impression that triploid grass carp were incapable of
reproduction. But that's really neither here nor there, because I
don't know whether they will be monoloid, diploid, triploid, quadloid,
or whatever-loid. As a matter of fact, if someone held a bass in one
hand and a carp in the other, I'd probably guess that they were two
different kinds of trout or something. Whatever fish my "neighbor"
gives me are going in the pond. (I put "neighbor" in quotes because
while he does live next to me, his driveway is a good 1/4 mile away. I
can't see his house, I only see him a few times a year, he's a trucker
and is on the road most of the time anyway.) If two fish become more
than two, I'll get some loaves to go with, feed the multitudes, change
my name, and walk across the pond.

..

ReelMcKoi 21-02-2010 02:24 AM

News from northern Florida

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
.

I didn't know that. Live and learn. :)

I wish I had a nickel for every new thing I have learned on thisgroup!

Jim
======================
Me too! ;-) I've learned a lot here over the years.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

[email protected] 04-03-2010 03:36 PM

Further data on the Mississippi, the Great Lakes and invasive species

Chicago draws their drinking water from the lake. they changed direction of the
river so their sewage would run to the Mississippi. then they sued Milwaukee for
polluting the lake when big storms caused sewage overflow.

they need to dam the Chicago river and prevent any flow into the Mississippi.
Ingrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Chip[_2_] 05-03-2010 12:05 AM

wrote:
they changed direction of the
river so their sewage would run to the Mississippi.

they need to dam the Chicago river and prevent any flow into the Mississippi.

Would you want to recreate in the water behind the dam? EEEEUUUUUUU!

Chip