Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default News from northern Florida

I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Is not a koi but a carp in fancy dress?

Chip

Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 18:31:25 EST, Chip wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I think you are right about their trying and keeping after what they
like. Our koi and goldfish have certainly learned to gobble duckweed.

Jim

Is not a koi but a carp in fancy dress?

Chip

Pretty much, but don't tell the fanatic koi person that. ;-)))) I'm sure
they'll argue the point. They don't think koi with long-fins are koi
either, regardless of how fancy they're dressed up. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Carp in Great Lakes

Funny how a rose is a rose is a rose...but a koi is not a carp...well,
perhaps a relative.

I just saw a news clip on TV explaining that the govt is spending $650
million to try to handle grass carp in the Great Lakes. They must be
following our discussions!

Jim

Old 19-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered User

Our triploid grass carp keep local ponds totally clear of vegetation.
My koi and goldfish think duckweed is a great treat. Local carp
could work well for you. A thought: Two can become more than two.
Would one do?

Old 21-02-2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
.

I didn't know that. Live and learn.

I wish I had a nickel for every new thing I have learned on thisgroup!

Jim
======================
Me too! ;-) I've learned a lot here over the years.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Further data on the Mississippi, the Great Lakes and invasive species

Chicago draws their drinking water from the lake. they changed direction of the
river so their sewage would run to the Mississippi. then they sued Milwaukee for
polluting the lake when big storms caused sewage overflow.

they need to dam the Chicago river and prevent any flow into the Mississippi.
Ingrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
they changed direction of the
river so their sewage would run to the Mississippi.

they need to dam the Chicago river and prevent any flow into the Mississippi.

Would you want to recreate in the water behind the dam? EEEEUUUUUUU!

Chip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Boating in northern Florida Galen Hekhuis Ponds (moderated) 5 14-09-2009 12:59 AM
BBF News - Issue #3, Volume I - The state of Alagoas in Northern Brazil, first Bamboo Social Housin Joao Paulo Paglione Bamboo 7 20-12-2003 11:15 AM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM