Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Snow.. or not?

I guess the DC area is getting hammered this weekend, while on the opposite
side of the nation, in the "other" Washington we're having weather that is
more March like. It has been that way since soon after the New Year. I've
got tulips coming up!!! I'm sure about the time I get use to the idea that
spring is here we're going to get dumped on... we have had an unusual
amount of rain and I'm in the desert side of the state! There is almost an
inch of rain in my gauge over several weeks. We average 7-8 inches/year.

Fish wise though, today I'm doing a water change on the koi ponds. The
whole downstairs is being rearranged so my son (fresh in from his 3rd tour
in Iraq) and family can stay here rather than a motel. A sleeper sofa was
purchased and in the garage waiting, as both a 55 and a 20 gallon fish tank
are moving to a new location across the room. Not looking forward to
that....

My plan, using a big 40 gallon fish tub (after I clean it up) I will fill
it with about 30 gallons of the old water and put the fish in, drain the
rest of the water and hopefully slide tank & stand to new location (with
help of course). Pump old water back in, add fish, restart filter and then
add fresh, just like a water change. So glad I was smart enough NOT to put
gravel in this aquarium.

Then it will be the 20 gallons turn. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm sure many have seen the pictures of the snow coming out of DC? I'm just
wondering what the ponders in that area are doing? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-02-2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Feb 9, 7:45 am, ~ jan wrote:
I'm sure many have seen the pictures of the snow coming out of DC? I'm ju

st
wondering what the ponders in that area are doing? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

We were dealing well with the 'broken' pond before the blizzard hit.
We have a leak and it has taken the water depth down to 18 inches from
36". We could see the fish moving around and they looked fine. We are
not happy with the situation, but cannot do a new liner before spring,
need help, these 2 old farts do, and will be calling on our grown kids
to come to a fish party!!
Since the blizzard, the pole that held up the cover over half the pond
has bowed down almost into the water with the weight of the snow on
the cover. We just have had too much snow everywhere, 30" then 12" a
few days later, to even get to the fish pond. DH had to dig trails for
the dogs to 'go' in, back to the shed for a kero heater we should have
had in the house when the power was out for 48 hours, over to the
satellite dish to uncover it so we could watch tv, and the decks and
walkways. He was ecstatic when a neighbor sent a guy with a big
backhoe over to clear the over 100' driveway. Mind you he is 69 yrs
old, and going strong, but this is a lot of snow, with more predicted
for tomorrow night.
We pray our wet kids are ok down there. There is a bubbler going, and
it looks to be not frozen under the cover. We will just have to wait
for the thaw to see how we and the fish make out. It's a scarey thing
this year. First time we have been caught napping re the fish pond.
I hope everyone else's ponds & wet kids are doing well.
Nan in DE

Old 16-02-2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I hope your pond turns out to be doing well under the snow and ice!

Jackson set a 50 year record this last week with 6" of snow. Our
pond...simply melted it. Minimal freezing.

It looks as though our water hyacinth may have a hard time making it
through the winter. Lots of it has frozen. We shall see.

About a month until things wake up.

Jim

Old 21-02-2010, 12:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nan in DE.... I can't imagine! Been a long while since we've had snow like
that (well... if ever).

Here the crocus are blooming, I have tulips up 6". Unfortunately I have a
cold... Ahh- - choo. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-02-2010, 01:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:30:08 EST, ~ jan wrote:

Nan in DE.... I can't imagine! Been a long while since we've had snow like
that (well... if ever).

Nan, how you doing in DE? I didn't realize our El Nino weather travels all
across the nation and causes you woes, according to the weather news. Here,
nice showers, there... omg! You're buried in white stuff! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-03-2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

its not el nino, it is more humidity in air making bigger snows and rains. OTOH, we
have had a pretty mild winter with only 2 bigger snows this year. snow drops are up
and blooming, rest is poking thru snow.
koi are fine last time I got a look at em gave em some freeze dried krill. INgrid

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:40:26 EST, ~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:30:08 EST, ~ jan wrote:

Nan in DE.... I can't imagine! Been a long while since we've had snow like
that (well... if ever).

Nan, how you doing in DE? I didn't realize our El Nino weather travels all
across the nation and causes you woes, according to the weather news. Here,
nice showers, there... omg! You're buried in white stuff! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

OMGosh, what do you think got in? When you say *dumped the veggie filter,*
they broke your wood box, or what?

I started up the lily pond filter yesterday, dummy me though. I forgot that
one of the things I like to do is do a fast fill into the pre-filter,
drain, and fill again, sucking out a lot of any muck that could have filter
thru the screening over winter. But no, it traveled thru the filters. I
think I'm going to have to start writing myself instructions. I did write
myself a note to rinse the new matala pads before starting the koi filter,
but that won't be for another week... maybe 2 since we're in a cool down,
back to normal temps.

See change of filter he
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ghlight=matala
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I hope you keep healing!

Our lawns are not yet ready to mow. But April is coming!

Jim

Old 17-04-2010, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bummer about the pollen. We are just past the worst of the pine
pollen.

Do you get green every year?

Ours got that way before I repaired the pump. Then it cleared,
starting a few hours later. I infer that means the mechanical
filtration has cleared out the algae. That seems strange to me. I
thought it finer than that. Any suggestions?

Jim

Old 20-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Registered User

It looks as though our water hyacinth may have a hard time making it through the winter. Lots of it has frozen. We shall see.
Steam shower | Bathroom vanities | Faucets

Rate This Thread: