Old 13-04-2010, 07:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Replaced my pump

A while ago I commented that our 10 yr old pump had died. Today I bit
the bullet and replumbed the thing. I initilly had a submersed pump
at the bottom of our 7 foot deep well. that pushed water up to the
berm. Great...except for the problem of repair. That meant diving
down 7 feet. Fine now at 65. But in a decade?

So i plumber in a pondmaster that can operate outside the pond!
Changing it will mean only undooing two compression fittings.

The task was a bit tedious as I had to lower the pond level to ensure
the pump would automatically prime. The intake is in the deep well at
a 4' level, leaving 3' of water if ever it somehow pumped the pond
empty. The intake is a T of 1.5" pipe in a 5 gal bucket with hundreds
of 1/2" holes. Plenty of flow but unable to hold fish at any one
hole. Generally some eggges go through the system, but no fish that I
can tell.

The berm is better off with circulation! Maybe my green water will go
away as well. I have it for the first time in several years.

Jim

Old 14-04-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Follow up on the pump

The pond is noticeably clearer after less than a day of the new pump.
Also, I have foam on the water at the base of the streams. Koi
breeding. I will clean the berm ponds tomorrow.

Jim

Old 15-04-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Point well taken. I have it in a 5 gal bucket with as many 1/2" holes
in it as i could drill. Nothing above 1/2" can get in, the pull is
very little per hole and it will never clog. that was my fear with
gravel...that it would eventually clog.

Jim

Old 16-04-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Magic pond clearing agent: Replaced my pump

It is now a number of days since I changed out the pump. My pons has
lost its green and most of its cloudiness. The berm ponds are doing
their thing!

Now, the herons must not come...they could see the fish!

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Polytunnel Zips replaced with Velcro or some fitting john west[_2_] United Kingdom 6 28-08-2015 05:55 PM
Why have potatoes replaced parsnips? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 21 06-10-2010 10:25 PM
Replaced needle and seat. TP Lawns 5 10-08-2006 12:56 AM
Can a Pond Pump electric Cord be replaced? dkat Ponds 5 28-07-2003 07:22 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 06:42 AM