Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Mystery flower

Well, it's a mystery to me. I am rather poor at identifying plants. I
was about to use the weed eater on this patch when I saw this plant.
Usually I use my guilt-free gardening method to determine weeds. That
is: If I pull it up, it is a weed by definition. It doesn't matter
if it looks identical in every way to a desirable plant just inches
away; if I pull it up, it's a weed. This property is not
transferable. That is, if *you* pull up a desirable plant, it remains
a desirable plant, and you should go hang your head in shame. However,
if I pull up the same plant, it is a weed. Master Gardeners may know
how to grow pretty flowers, but it takes a Super Ultimate Gardener to
tell a weed disguised as, say, a marigold. But I digress. Anyway,
is this a desirable plant or a noxious weed?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...y112010003.jpg
..

Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I haven't a clue, but I like the white flowers. Reminds me of some
Carribean flowers.

Jim

Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Lizard's Tail, Galen, and I spent money to put one of
those on Iris Island!

kathy :-)

Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

Well, it's a mystery to me. I am rather poor at identifying plants. I
was about to use the weed eater on this patch when I saw this plant.
Usually I use my guilt-free gardening method to determine weeds. That
is: If I pull it up, it is a weed by definition. It doesn't matter
if it looks identical in every way to a desirable plant just inches
away; if I pull it up, it's a weed. This property is not
transferable. That is, if *you* pull up a desirable plant, it remains
a desirable plant, and you should go hang your head in shame. However,
if I pull up the same plant, it is a weed. Master Gardeners may know
how to grow pretty flowers, but it takes a Super Ultimate Gardener to
tell a weed disguised as, say, a marigold. But I digress. Anyway,
is this a desirable plant or a noxious weed?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...y112010003.jpg
.

When I first looked at the picture I thought the plant was next to an old
painted drive way. I now realize it's duckweed!

Wow.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 13-05-2010, 02:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 12 May 2010 15:15:00 EDT, kathy wrote:

Lizard's Tail, Galen, and I spent money to put one of
those on Iris Island!

kathy :-)

Far out. What should I do to encourage it?
..

Old 13-05-2010, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:25:23 EDT, Joe wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

[...]

Duckweed? Moi? Whatever would give you that idea?
..

Old 13-05-2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Lizard's Tail, kathy :-)

Does that make it a flower instead of a weed?

One man's flower is another man's weed?

Jim

Old 13-05-2010, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I would give it a chance.
Mine does not seem overly aggressive, in that the iris are the
dominant plant on the island now. Is native to your area so no
pond police will come to visit.
And it is *purty* and the leaves are pretty in the fall.

kathy :-)

Old 14-05-2010, 02:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:48:40 EDT, kathy wrote:

I would give it a chance.
Mine does not seem overly aggressive, in that the iris are the
dominant plant on the island now. Is native to your area so no
pond police will come to visit.
And it is *purty* and the leaves are pretty in the fall.

kathy :-)

Seems I have two "plots" of it, one growing where the water must be a
foot deep. How it made it up through the duckweed I'll never know. It
must be a "winter hardy" type plant that comes up every year.
..

Old 26-05-2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
[...]

================The common name for them here in TN is "Lizard's Tail." Mine' died out
several years ago.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-05-2010, 07:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 12 May 2010 09:48:25 EDT, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

if *you* pull up a desirable plant, it remains
a desirable plant. However,
if I pull up the same plant, it is a weed.
is this a desirable plant or a noxious weed?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...y112010003.jpg
.

Before answering, my first question would have been.... Did you pull it or
not? I see in later posts you did not, and ID was given by kathy. It is
winter hardy, survives here nicely in Zone 7. Not sure what its lowest zone
is. Your plant looks particularly healthy and hardy w/beautiful blooms.
Caterpillars do love it, so watch for those. Picking them off is easy, if
the plant is easy to access. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: