Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default coming full circle with the algae

News story - your old computer parts can be
used to grow algae for bio fuel.
How to turn both our hobbies to the good.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/elect...ows-algae.html

kathy :-)

Old 14-05-2010, 01:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Just what I need on my desk....algae.

Old 30-05-2010, 11:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 14 May 2010 08:21:55 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Just what I need on my desk....algae.

Why not? I have its poo in the litter box... only his name is spelled
Algee. Next cat is going to be spelled Algae, no matter what!!! ;-)
Especially if I continue to be the pooper scooper. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-09-2010, 10:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I almost never say "algae". It is either green water (Phytoplankton) or moss
(Plecostomus food) that clings to glass or plants. Green water is more
danjerous, because given sufficient fertilizer in my water, it can grow
exponentially, and when lights go out, decay just as fast. When lights go
out, it consumes oxygen, and with enough density, it makes fish surface. So,
I prefer moss, which is easy to remove from a filter or glass, or easy to
remove with a siphon as a component of silt from Plecos. When other people
say algae, I often ask them to clarify: Moss or green water?

Old 19-09-2010, 12:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 05:58:56 EDT, "Bohgosity BumaskiL"
wrote:

I almost never say "algae". It is either green water (Phytoplankton) or moss
(Plecostomus food) that clings to glass or plants. Green water is more
danjerous, because given sufficient fertilizer in my water, it can grow
exponentially, and when lights go out, decay just as fast. When lights go
out, it consumes oxygen, and with enough density, it makes fish surface. So,
I prefer moss, which is easy to remove from a filter or glass, or easy to
remove with a siphon as a component of silt from Plecos. When other people
say algae, I often ask them to clarify: Moss or green water?

Hmmm, ponders usually ask, pea soup or sweater/side algae? String or
Blanket weed? Slime or snot algae? When one is dealing with the sun and not
just light bulbs, algae really can take a turn for the worst.... or better.
;-) I have "real" moss growing on my waterfall, sphagnum moss, a great
filter, stays green all winter even. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: