GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Redwing Nest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/191670-redwing-nest.html)

Gary Woods[_2_] 24-05-2010 03:23 AM

Redwing Nest

Good example of hiding in plain sight. Even after I found the nest I
couldn't see it in the camera's screen.

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...edwingNest.JPG

I can't tell if there are eggs yet; certainly not chicks. It's about six
feet from shore amidst the cattails.

~ jan[_3_] 30-05-2010 11:53 AM

Redwing Nest

Ah.... so that's how and where they build their nests. Thanks Gary! ~ jan

On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:23:04 EDT, Gary Woods wrote:

Good example of hiding in plain sight. Even after I found the nest I
couldn't see it in the camera's screen.

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...edwingNest.JPG

I can't tell if there are eggs yet; certainly not chicks. It's about six
feet from shore amidst the cattails.

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

kathy[_3_] 31-05-2010 03:20 AM

Redwing Nest

How very wonderful!!!!
Someday I'm going to have a pond like this!

kathy :-)

Gary Woods[_2_] 31-05-2010 06:34 PM

Redwing Nest

kathy wrote:

Someday I'm going to have a pond like this!

Be warned that this pond is more "natural" (though man-made) and a good
less manicured than many here.
I just came in from taking the grandkids (5 and 8) around on the
paddleboat, and pointing out the hazardous life cycle of dragonflies,
punctuated by a leaping bass... I think it missed. This time.

Motion seed in that Redwing nest, so the babies have hatched. Mom or dad
were in a nearby tree expressing their extreme annoyance with our snooping.