Old 13-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Default Water Hyacinth mystery

Anyone know who or what may be making my water hyacinths disappear without trace. Lost 4 floating plants in a week. No human access to back garden. No trace of detritus from an animal ravaged plant round pond. A real mystery (to me at least). Is there a water hyacinth fairy?
Old 14-06-2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our koi go after the roots and quickly devour small hyacinth. What
fish have you in the pond? This year deer have tried out our hyacinth
as well, although they do not seem to like them much.

Jim

Old 14-06-2010, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

news

--
DennisW

Raccoons love water hyacinth! I'd bet money this is the culprit.

Old 15-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis and Jim View Post
Our koi go after the roots and quickly devour small hyacinth. What
fish have you in the pond? This year deer have tried out our hyacinth
as well, although they do not seem to like them much.

Jim
No fish of any sort. Just frogs and newts. My garden is quite large for urban standards, but certainly harbours no deer! I am however plagued by Herons, Foxes, Squirrels, Magpies and pigeons, plus an occasional visit from two Mallards.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered User

No raccoons in the UK John, thank God! Forgot to admit my location, sorry I didn't mention it in my original post.

Old 16-06-2010, 01:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:16:23 EDT, DennisW
wrote:

-

Raccoons love water hyacinth! I'd bet money this is the culprit.

No raccoons in the UK John, thank God! Forgot to admit my location,
sorry I didn't mention it in my original post.

I'll blame it on the fox then. I've found them pulled out and dried up away
from the pond (WH not foxes), so perhaps that is what happened to yours,
drug off... or they walked away on their own?

I'm thinking water gardening space aliens, since you have no thieving
raccoons. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-06-2010, 03:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

You wouldn't have a trail cam by any chance? Probably not in the
UK....

While I think of it, where in the UK are you? We live in
Cambridge.and Bar hill when is was researching...several decades ago!

Jim

Old 19-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis and Jim View Post
You wouldn't have a trail cam by any chance? Probably not in the
UK....

While I think of it, where in the UK are you? We live in
Cambridge.and Bar hill when is was researching...several decades ago!

Jim
In Yardley, Birmingham. No, no trail cam. Where are you placed?
Old 20-06-2010, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Phyllis and Jim;891355 Wrote:
You wouldn't have a trail cam by any chance? Probably not in the
UK....

While I think of it, where in the UK are you? We live in
Cambridge.and Bar hill when is was researching...several decades ago!

Jim

In Yardley, Birmingham. No, no trail cam.

Do you have a Canon point and shoot digital camera? My favorite
open source freeware can make it detect motion-

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Jim

Old 20-06-2010, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We are in Jackson, Mississippi. Far from Cambridge or Birmingham!

I used to have a candle firm when I was studying in Cambridge. My
partner and i went to a lot of shops in various cities, among them
Birmingham. I don't recall where Yardly is in relation to the city.

Jim

Rate This Thread: