Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water Lillies

Ok I purchased some water lillies today, Im finally getting my Veggie
filter started. My question(s):
1) the flower came packed in a clay like soil and suggests that you
leave the plant in the plastic container and place it in shallow
water, I thought the idea of the veggie filter was for the roots to
capture fine particals. Where am I wrong? or was this not a good
plant to purchse for a veggie filter?

2) What plants do you recommend for the Veggie filter
3) How many plants do you suggest and also how long before I begin to
see signifcant results? I realize this is a subjective question but I
guess I'm asking for a ball park figure.

Thank so much for all the helpful info. moderated is definately they
way to go

Old 03-07-2010, 02:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

2) What plants do you recommend for the Veggie filter

Plants that grow fast and have good root systems. I have lots of
hyacinth, water celery and parrots feather. If they are legal in your
state, I would be glad to send you some for the cost of postage.
Others did that for me.

3) How many plants do you suggest and also how long before I begin to
see signifcant results?

Let them cover the veggie filter. If you do hyacinth, you can pull
them out all summer as they grow. Each plant pulled is nutrients not
giving you more algae.

Time is .dependent on the pond, nutrient levels and plants. Our
hyacinths have been wonderful at keeping the pond clear. In the
summer, they will cover a 4 x 8 filter in a matter of weeks.

Jim

Old 03-07-2010, 02:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 1, 12:24 pm, Peter Pan wrote:
Ok I purchased some water lillies today, Im finally getting my Veggie
filter started. My question(s):
1) the flower came packed in a clay like soil and suggests that you
leave the plant in the plastic container and place it in shallow
water, I thought the idea of the veggie filter was for the roots to
capture fine particals. Where am I wrong? or was this not a good
plant to purchse for a veggie filter?

Oops, I forgot your first question. Lilies are not as good for
veggie filters as are other plants that grow fast, have bulk and have
great root systems. Lilies are pretty and offer shade to the pond.
The shade helps.

Jim

Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:24:02 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Ok I purchased some water lillies today, Im finally getting my Veggie
filter started. 1) the flower came packed in a clay like soil
I thought the idea of the veggie filter was for the roots to
capture fine particals. Where am I wrong? or was this not a good
plant to purchse for a veggie filter?

You've got the veggie filter idea correct, the plant is wrong. Lilies are
better IN the pond to shade the water. You can do the lily bare root (still
in basket w/big rocks), but it won't flower as well usually.

2) What plants do you recommend for the Veggie filter

Watercress is cheap and grows fast in moving water. You can buy or order
from most grocery stores. Iris is another, water hyacinths as Jim
mentioned.

3) How many plants do you suggest and also how long before I begin to
see signifcant results? I realize this is a subjective question but I
guess I'm asking for a ball park figure.

To give a ball park figure I'd have to see a pic. after it is planted or
know how big percentage wise surface area is in relation to pond and how
many fish and how big, # of plants. What other kind of filtration you have
and gph of flow.

Shot Gun from the hip? 2-4 weeks. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us