Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Change

The older I get the more I dislike change... well some changes anyway.

Especially how quickly our techno electronics changes now days. I'm due for
a new cell phone.... mine will probably have to have some serious problems
before I go in, even if I can get a new one "free".

Between what I've saved up and what my folks gave me for my last b-day I
can afford a flat screen TV. I haven't even bother to look at the stores (I
may on-line today) but after today, do I want the frustration?

Today one of my forums totally changed their format. I have spent 2 hours
now just trying to figure it out. Granted today was an easy day.... but I
was hoping to read... not figure out an old forum's new format.s Thank
goodness things don't change much on newsgroups.

Thanks for listening, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
The older I get the more I dislike change... well some changes anyway.

Between what I've saved up and what my folks gave me for my last b-day I
can afford a flat screen TV. I haven't even bother to look at the stores (I
may on-line today) but after today, do I want the frustration?

If you are seriously looking for a flat screen TV, I read an article in
Consumer Reports yesterday about their survey of electronics's stores.
The clear winner was Amazon. My two experiences with them were just
fine. The price was as good or better than any local shopping (and I
checked a lot), home delivery was free and quick (so no slepping it home
from the store or paying local delivery), and no sales tax. What's not
to like?

Chip

Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 7/10/2010 5:42 AM, ~ jan wrote:
[...]

Cell phones, blah! Don't get me started. I despise the fact that my
monthly bill didn't decline after my contract period expirds. You know,
the period that's supposed to subsidize that "free" phone. "You can get
a new phone." they tell me. Yeah, and we start all over again and I'm
paying more than before.

You'll like a flat screen. Their prices have dropped. They don't take up
nearly as much room and use less electricity, especially if you go LCD.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:12:31 EDT, Chip wrote:

~ jan wrote:
The older I get the more I dislike change... well some changes anyway.

Between what I've saved up and what my folks gave me for my last b-day I
can afford a flat screen TV. I haven't even bother to look at the stores (I
may on-line today) but after today, do I want the frustration?

If you are seriously looking for a flat screen TV, I read an article in
Consumer Reports yesterday about their survey of electronics's stores.
The clear winner was Amazon. My two experiences with them were just
fine. The price was as good or better than any local shopping (and I
checked a lot), home delivery was free and quick (so no slepping it home
from the store or paying local delivery), and no sales tax. What's not
to like?

Chip

Thanks Chip, good to know. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-07-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I hadn't given thought to internet apps.

Currently looking Samsung 46" LED, locally $1399 after $85 rebate, at both
Costco & Best Buy.

Amazon doesn't save us in taxes as they & we are in the same state.

Will send your info below to my DS the geek.

How many inches is your Vizio and how far are you sitting from it? I was
standing 10' from the 46" and felt like I needed to be back further, just
not use to it be so "in my face". ~ jan

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:19:51 EDT, wrote:

I agree with Chip. Our TV developed a red/blue/green line across the top of the
screen knew it was time to get another TV. I did my due diligence in sorting thru
what kind of TV. I read lots of review on Amazon. I came up with what was important.
1. backlit LCD
2. smart dimming
3. high contrast ratio (mine is 2,000,000:1)
4. 240Hz sps LED LCD
I ended up with a Vizio from Amazon, one with internet apps altho Roku has an
internet box (for watching movies on netflix, Amazon, etc) that can just be added on
later. I thought about changing my service from regular to HDTV and Dish would not
work with me. I would have to pay 100 bucks each to replace my two receivers, then
pay another 10 per month for highdef, then another 10 a month to "rent" my second
receiver. I just said no. The picture is fabulous and when I go to netflix thru the
internet the movies come on highdef anyway as will any movie played in my highdef DVD
player. When I free up a spare laptop I may plug into the TV so I can surf the web.

Ingrid

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 17-07-2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

Currently looking Samsung 46" LED, locally $1399 after $85 rebate, at both
Costco & Best Buy.

If those are your two choices, use Costco. They throw in a 2-yr
warranty and have a VERY liberal return policy. Of course, that may
conflict with your politics. :) Too bad about Amazon. $119 to the
State is a lot.

Chip

Old 18-07-2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:51:59 EDT, Chip wrote:

If those are your two choices, use Costco. They throw in a 2-yr
warranty and have a VERY liberal return policy. Of course, that may
conflict with your politics. :) Too bad about Amazon. $119 to the
State is a lot.

Chip

Oh I agree! Rebate is thru the middle of August, so I'll be watching the

Anyone have an opinion/advice on wall brackets? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-07-2010, 01:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Change - OT- TV

We went with Samsung 46" LCD with the options the guys wanted, so it isn't
really skinny (4"), but sound/volume is very good. Ordered from Best Buy,
the Geek Squad brought it out as it was ordered off the net, no shipping.
Don't know if they were disappointed to find out that we didn't need them
for set up.... I could have waited till I had the wall prepared, but DH
couldn't. When I got home from art show it was on this small special
worktable of his, that I said, throw a table cloth over it and we're good
to go. ;-) Hopefully tomorrow heading to the paint store & Costco for a
motorized wall mount. Currently all the crap that was in the entertainment
center is on the floor, thus need containers for those. Hopefully we will
check out Big Lots. And wouldn't you know, we have to be triple digits this
week when I need to do shopping. s Hate that! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

fish change colors ? John Q. Ponds 2 19-11-2003 03:02 AM
when to fertilize? After water change? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 07:22 AM
co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 07:22 AM
No PH change with DIY CO2 Jim Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 24 21-02-2003 08:16 PM
Water Change? B. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 14-02-2003 07:13 PM