Old 14-07-2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Turtle in pond

Hello Everybody!
I have found in the road a beautiful small turtle (black with red on
the neck). I picked it up and thought it would be a nice add-on to the
pond. I have had misgivings since and thought I would check with you.
It is a good idea? Will it eat my fish, my plants? How will it
hibernate?
Information please on turtles in pond...
Martine in Ottawa

Old 16-07-2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If it was on the side of the road, it may or may not stay with you.
it was in passage before!

It will eat various things but is unlikely to be able to catch your
fish.

It will surely hibernate. It will have a hard time doing that in a
home pond.

I don't know if it would move to your yard or elsewhere to hibernate.

Jim

Old 16-07-2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It's a red-eared slider.

I've kept turtles in my pond, 3,300 gallons.

I fed them turtle chow on a safe rock (where the
fish and dogs could not get it). They loved koi chow
and would get into a scrum of koi and goldfish to fight
with the fish. I'm sure it noshed on my plants but my pond
is fairly wild so who'd notice.
Turtle needs a safe place to bask in the sun - we
have an island.

My turtles did okay over winter in my pond.
I kept a hole open in the ice, just as we do for fish.

Our turtles would wander - if they got a chance, finding
a gap in the gate, someone said 'turtles have no pet loyalty'.

kathy :-)

Old 17-07-2010, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Hello Everybody!
I have found in the road a beautiful small turtle (black with red on
the neck). I picked it up and thought it would be a nice add-on to the
pond. I have had misgivings since and thought I would check with you.
It is a good idea? Will it eat my fish, my plants? How will it
hibernate?
Information please on turtles in pond...
Martine in Ottawa

Hi Martine,

Sounds like a red eared slider. Don't know if those are indigenous to
Ottawa, so the first thing you need to do is make sure it's not someone's
pet.

They do make interesting additions to the pond and will get to recognize
you. Mine paddles right up to me when I get in the pond to clean. Looking
for a morsel no doubt.

They will eat your fish if they can catch them. However, assuming what you
have are koi or the faster variety of goldfish like Shubunkin I wouldn't
worry about that. Fancy "tubby" goldfish are another matter.

As someone else mentioned, they will go out for a walk. Unless you have an
enclosed yard he will likely one day be gone, off looking for a mate.

I feed mine small cocktail shrimp about every second day and all the koi
kibble he can get.

He will hibernate in your pond. You need to be sure the water doesn't freeze
right to the bottom, but if you have fish I assume this isn't a problem for
you.

Good luck!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 18-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered User

Its really great to know, its a very beautiful turtle you have found, you can keep it in your pond, it will not eat your fishes at all but it will surely hibernate, try to manage it if you still want to keep it ion pond with your fishes.

Old 19-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered User

I had turtles in my pond before, they are fine. They won't eat your fish, as long as you feed them enough they won't ruin your plants by eating them either. They will hibernate, though and like someone mentioned, if you don't have a closed garden area they will be off, so try to make sure it cannot leave. My turtles were fine pets to me, actually. You should be fine and really enjoy having a turtle in your garden.
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Turtle Pond KerplunKuK Ponds 0 08-03-2004 08:36 PM
Turtle pond KerplunKuK Ponds (alternative) 0 08-03-2004 08:17 PM
Filterless Turtle Pond? Sue Alexandre Ponds 9 21-05-2003 08:08 PM
(turtle pond) Sue Alexandre Ponds 4 19-05-2003 02:08 PM
Thanks! (turtle pond) Sue Alexandre Ponds 3 18-05-2003 11:32 PM