GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Fish losing pigmentation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/192777-fish-losing-pigmentation.html)

Nik Simpson 18-07-2010 07:11 AM

Fish losing pigmentation

Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.
--
Nik Simpson

JB[_6_] 18-07-2010 04:40 PM

Fish losing pigmentation

On 7/18/2010 1:11 AM, Nik Simpson wrote:
Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.

I had this happen with a couple of Koi. I'd had them for three years and
the abruptly lost all their color over a period of a few weeks and
turned solid white. They're now 12 years old and doing well. The only
thing I ever found out was that "This happens." Never found out why.

~ jan[_3_] 18-07-2010 08:14 PM

Fish losing pigmentation

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 02:11:28 EDT, Nik Simpson
wrote:

Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.

I think this is just typical... I too have a moor going orange, and one
that has stayed all black. Throw back genes. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Nik Simpson 21-07-2010 11:52 AM

Fish losing pigmentation

On 7/20/2010 9:53 AM, wrote:
they have decolorization genes. Black starts "going" from the bottom up. what you
have are telescope fish, not moors. Moors are true recessive matte black and have a
BRONZE not a SILVER under color on their belly. They wont decolorize. Ingrid

So no need to worry then, thanks.

--
Nik Simpson

Billy Fish 10-01-2011 05:12 PM

There are quite a few things you can do for fish that are losing colour - and there may be any number of different causes.

Take a look he

Improving colour « The Water Gardener's Bible

Billy