Old 18-07-2010, 08:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fish losing pigmentation

Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.
--
Nik Simpson

Old 18-07-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 7/18/2010 1:11 AM, Nik Simpson wrote:
Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.

I had this happen with a couple of Koi. I'd had them for three years and
the abruptly lost all their color over a period of a few weeks and
turned solid white. They're now 12 years old and doing well. The only
thing I ever found out was that "This happens." Never found out why.

Old 18-07-2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 02:11:28 EDT, Nik Simpson
wrote:

Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.

I think this is just typical... I too have a moor going orange, and one
that has stayed all black. Throw back genes. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered User

There are quite a few things you can do for fish that are losing colour - and there may be any number of different causes.

Take a look he

Improving colour « The Water Gardener's Bible

Billy

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Losing pond fish food john ryan[_3_] United Kingdom 19 28-09-2012 12:57 PM
Losing Fish over wintering Paul Ponds 6 03-03-2007 04:48 PM
Losing fish!! Please help me find the Koi Killer!! John Ponds 13 09-06-2004 04:10 PM
[Fwd: Widely Used Crop Herbicide Is Losing Weed Resistance] [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Bradford Pear Losing Bark Gary Harper Texas 4 05-04-2003 12:09 PM