Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default It's Hot!

That seems a sensible worry. Ours is plumbed in and has not been an
issus in more than a decade. It's volume is small enopugh that it
does not harm the pond...3-4000 gal with constant circulation.

Jim

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

I always worry that the valve will break and fill my pond with chlorinated
water.
San Diego Joe

Also if there is a leak similar could happen before one discovers it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
That seems a sensible worry. Ours is plumbed in and has not been an
issus in more than a decade. It's volume is small enopugh that it
does not harm the pond...3-4000 gal with constant circulation.

Jim

Same with mine. Although in the AZ heat the plastic bottle finally
sprung a leak and I had to change it this year after 20 yrs. If you
look at your pond more than twice a day, it should be no problem. If
you are worried over a long vacation, they are easy to shut off. Saves
a ton of hassle with hoses and stuff.

Chip

Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

20 years! Impressive. I will have to change mine on a preventative
basis!

Our pond can run over safely and the pump is always on, so a continual
flow from the valve would not affect the fish, I suspect. I think the
flow between berm ponds, the waterfalls and the streams expose the
flow to air sufficient to clear most or perhaps all of the chlorine.

We had one episode when the return from a berm pond was partially
blocked and we had overflow for a number of days. The valve refilled
the pond on an irregular basis until I noticed the wetness on the back
of the berm. The water was much more clear! The fish were
unaffected. I think of that as an inadvertant water change!

Jim

Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

12 of the last 14 days have been 100 or higher. Good thing is that we've
had some nice rainfall so we're not having drought conditions. Bad news
is humidity levels are through the roof! It is really like a sauna.

Glad my pond is shaded. I always wished it had more direct sun so I
could grow a wider variety of water lilies other than just the shade
tolerant ones but I'm not complaining now.

On 7/31/2010 6:46 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:37:36 EDT, wrote:

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

Ugh! We're cooling down for the weekend, low 90's, back up for the work
week, mid-90's. I can live with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the heat
index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped 5
inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

--------------

We have the same heat/evaporation problem here. I'm forever
topping off the ponds.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-08-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article , JB
wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Been 60s-70s all Summer long here on the coast. Coolest So Cal weather
we've had in years.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:51:52 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

We have the same heat/evaporation problem here. I'm forever
topping off the ponds.

Carol, I thought you had sold your place and moved to a condo?
What's the latest with that? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-08-2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:33:32 EDT, Chumley wrote:

Been 60s-70s all Summer long here on the coast. Coolest So Cal weather
we've had in years.

I like to check out the pics along the WA coast and most every day they
haven't made it to 60F with little to no sun. Last week they saw some temps
into the 80's, sweltering for them. Then back to low clouds and cool.

Yesterday here, 103F, humidity 9%!!!! I was doing errands and wasn't
noticing as I managed to park partially in shaded areas and the AC in the
stores is always on freezing that by the time I head out of there I need to
thaw, the heat feels good.

Nice today, only 85F on my deck currently (2pm) and cloudy, got a lot of
pond work done early. Saw my 3 survivors, fry about 1-1.5" schooling
together in the lily pond. So cute. I hardly look at my adults as I'm
always looking for the kids.

Also my 2 calico telescope eyed goldfish did the wild monkey dance for me
in the stock tank so I have a bunch of those types of babies. Don't know
what I'm going to do with them all. Winter the largest over in the lily
pond I suppose. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 12:38 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 04:23 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mchiper Lawns 0 01-09-2003 11:22 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mone [email protected] Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:43 AM