GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   It's Hot! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/192914-its-hot.html)

JB[_6_] 25-07-2010 09:00 PM

It's Hot!

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Chip[_2_] 26-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sissies- that is a cool pleasant day here in Phoenix. Right now a
moderate 109. I have an auto fill device, w/o it, I would have to
re-fill by hand every day.

Chip

Joe[_12_] 26-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well, don't wee into your pond so much!

Here in San Diego it has been an abysmal summer. We live a few miles from
the coast and it has been gloomy for what seems like weeks. The only reason
anyone lives here is because of the weather.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Dribbler 26-07-2010 12:14 PM

It's Hot!

"JB" wrote in message
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the heat
index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped 5
inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well......here in London, I've lost at least 1/4 inch of water this year
already (also 3,000 gallon)!

Dribbler

Phyllis and Jim 26-07-2010 12:54 PM

It's Hot!

Add water!

We have had the heat as well, but our pond has a toilet valve that
refills it, so we don't know what it added.

Jim

~ jan[_3_] 27-07-2010 12:53 AM

It's Hot!

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Joe[_12_] 28-07-2010 01:38 AM

It's Hot!

~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan

A couple of years ago I bought a meter that attaches to my hose bib. Best
$50 I have spent, pond wise. In addition to knowing how much water I use (up
to 20 gallons/day in mid summer) it helps me learn of any leaks.

Phyllis and Jim 28-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Joe[_12_] 29-07-2010 06:44 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Jim Elbrecht 30-07-2010 11:40 AM

It's Hot!

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:44:07 EDT, Joe wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Here's a $30 digital one on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-New...0445007&sr=8-1

Too bad you could be the first to review it.g

Jim

JB[_6_] 31-07-2010 02:37 AM

It's Hot!

On 7/25/2010 3:00 PM, JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last week.

What say you?

JB

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

~ jan[_3_] 31-07-2010 02:52 AM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
What kind of meter is that?

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.
San Diego Joe

I have something a little different, around $35 I think. I have this one,
which is really easy to use. Click on, click in how many minutes, done.
http://www.grasslandcorp.com/sprinklers___timers.html
I also have one like this, and I like it the best:
http://www.blujay.com/item/New-RainM...090300-3230678
as I don't have to click the button 30-45 times, numerical keyboard lets me
type the time in. $40. These attach to the spigot. They can also be used on
a hose to water automatically, or add water automatically. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 31-07-2010 12:46 PM

It's Hot!

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:37:36 EDT, JB wrote:

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

Ugh! We're cooling down for the weekend, low 90's, back up for the work
week, mid-90's. I can live with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 01-08-2010 03:17 AM

It's Hot!

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

Joe[_12_] 01-08-2010 05:18 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

I always worry that the valve will break and fill my pond with chlorinated
water.