GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   It's Hot! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/192914-its-hot.html)

JB[_6_] 25-07-2010 09:00 PM

It's Hot!

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Chip[_2_] 26-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sissies- that is a cool pleasant day here in Phoenix. Right now a
moderate 109. I have an auto fill device, w/o it, I would have to
re-fill by hand every day.

Chip

Joe[_12_] 26-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well, don't wee into your pond so much!

Here in San Diego it has been an abysmal summer. We live a few miles from
the coast and it has been gloomy for what seems like weeks. The only reason
anyone lives here is because of the weather.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Dribbler 26-07-2010 12:14 PM

It's Hot!

"JB" wrote in message
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the heat
index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped 5
inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well......here in London, I've lost at least 1/4 inch of water this year
already (also 3,000 gallon)!

Dribbler

Phyllis and Jim 26-07-2010 12:54 PM

It's Hot!

Add water!

We have had the heat as well, but our pond has a toilet valve that
refills it, so we don't know what it added.

Jim

~ jan[_3_] 27-07-2010 12:53 AM

It's Hot!

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Joe[_12_] 28-07-2010 01:38 AM

It's Hot!

~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan

A couple of years ago I bought a meter that attaches to my hose bib. Best
$50 I have spent, pond wise. In addition to knowing how much water I use (up
to 20 gallons/day in mid summer) it helps me learn of any leaks.

Phyllis and Jim 28-07-2010 12:13 PM

It's Hot!

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Joe[_12_] 29-07-2010 06:44 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Jim Elbrecht 30-07-2010 11:40 AM

It's Hot!

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:44:07 EDT, Joe wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Here's a $30 digital one on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-New...0445007&sr=8-1

Too bad you could be the first to review it.g

Jim

JB[_6_] 31-07-2010 02:37 AM

It's Hot!

On 7/25/2010 3:00 PM, JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last week.

What say you?

JB

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

~ jan[_3_] 31-07-2010 02:52 AM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
What kind of meter is that?

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.
San Diego Joe

I have something a little different, around $35 I think. I have this one,
which is really easy to use. Click on, click in how many minutes, done.
http://www.grasslandcorp.com/sprinklers___timers.html
I also have one like this, and I like it the best:
http://www.blujay.com/item/New-RainM...090300-3230678
as I don't have to click the button 30-45 times, numerical keyboard lets me
type the time in. $40. These attach to the spigot. They can also be used on
a hose to water automatically, or add water automatically. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 31-07-2010 12:46 PM

It's Hot!

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:37:36 EDT, JB wrote:

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

Ugh! We're cooling down for the weekend, low 90's, back up for the work
week, mid-90's. I can live with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 01-08-2010 03:17 AM

It's Hot!

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

Joe[_12_] 01-08-2010 05:18 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

I always worry that the valve will break and fill my pond with chlorinated
water.

Phyllis and Jim 02-08-2010 08:11 AM

It's Hot!

That seems a sensible worry. Ours is plumbed in and has not been an
issus in more than a decade. It's volume is small enopugh that it
does not harm the pond...3-4000 gal with constant circulation.

Jim

~ jan[_3_] 02-08-2010 02:40 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

I always worry that the valve will break and fill my pond with chlorinated
water.
San Diego Joe

Also if there is a leak similar could happen before one discovers it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Chip[_2_] 02-08-2010 04:10 PM

It's Hot!

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
That seems a sensible worry. Ours is plumbed in and has not been an
issus in more than a decade. It's volume is small enopugh that it
does not harm the pond...3-4000 gal with constant circulation.

Jim

Same with mine. Although in the AZ heat the plastic bottle finally
sprung a leak and I had to change it this year after 20 yrs. If you
look at your pond more than twice a day, it should be no problem. If
you are worried over a long vacation, they are easy to shut off. Saves
a ton of hassle with hoses and stuff.

Chip

Phyllis and Jim 03-08-2010 01:10 PM

It's Hot!

20 years! Impressive. I will have to change mine on a preventative
basis!

Our pond can run over safely and the pump is always on, so a continual
flow from the valve would not affect the fish, I suspect. I think the
flow between berm ponds, the waterfalls and the streams expose the
flow to air sufficient to clear most or perhaps all of the chlorine.

We had one episode when the return from a berm pond was partially
blocked and we had overflow for a number of days. The valve refilled
the pond on an irregular basis until I noticed the wetness on the back
of the berm. The water was much more clear! The fish were
unaffected. I think of that as an inadvertant water change!

Jim

JB[_6_] 12-08-2010 10:50 PM

It's Hot!

12 of the last 14 days have been 100 or higher. Good thing is that we've
had some nice rainfall so we're not having drought conditions. Bad news
is humidity levels are through the roof! It is really like a sauna.

Glad my pond is shaded. I always wished it had more direct sun so I
could grow a wider variety of water lilies other than just the shade
tolerant ones but I'm not complaining now.

ReelMcKoi 12-08-2010 10:51 PM

It's Hot!

"JB" wrote in message
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the heat
index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped 5
inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

--------------

We have the same heat/evaporation problem here. :( I'm forever
topping off the ponds.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Chumley 16-08-2010 09:33 PM

It's Hot!

In article , JB
wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Been 60s-70s all Summer long here on the coast. Coolest So Cal weather
we've had in years.

~ jan[_3_] 18-08-2010 09:52 PM

It's Hot!

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:51:52 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

We have the same heat/evaporation problem here. :( I'm forever
topping off the ponds.

Carol, I thought you had sold your place and moved to a condo?
What's the latest with that? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 18-08-2010 09:52 PM

It's Hot!

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:33:32 EDT, Chumley wrote:

Been 60s-70s all Summer long here on the coast. Coolest So Cal weather
we've had in years.

I like to check out the pics along the WA coast and most every day they
haven't made it to 60F with little to no sun. Last week they saw some temps
into the 80's, sweltering for them. Then back to low clouds and cool.

Yesterday here, 103F, humidity 9%!!!! I was doing errands and wasn't
noticing as I managed to park partially in shaded areas and the AC in the
stores is always on freezing that by the time I head out of there I need to
thaw, the heat feels good.

Nice today, only 85F on my deck currently (2pm) and cloudy, got a lot of
pond work done early. Saw my 3 survivors, fry about 1-1.5" schooling
together in the lily pond. So cute. I hardly look at my adults as I'm
always looking for the kids.

Also my 2 calico telescope eyed goldfish did the wild monkey dance for me
in the stock tank so I have a bunch of those types of babies. Don't know
what I'm going to do with them all. Winter the largest over in the lily
pond I suppose. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us