Old 25-07-2010, 09:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default It's Hot!

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Old 26-07-2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sissies- that is a cool pleasant day here in Phoenix. Right now a
moderate 109. I have an auto fill device, w/o it, I would have to
re-fill by hand every day.

Chip

Old 26-07-2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well, don't wee into your pond so much!

Here in San Diego it has been an abysmal summer. We live a few miles from
the coast and it has been gloomy for what seems like weeks. The only reason
anyone lives here is because of the weather.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 26-07-2010, 12:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the heat
index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped 5
inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Well......here in London, I've lost at least 1/4 inch of water this year
already (also 3,000 gallon)!

Dribbler

Old 26-07-2010, 12:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Add water!

We have had the heat as well, but our pond has a toilet valve that
refills it, so we don't know what it added.

Jim

Old 27-07-2010, 12:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-07-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:00:35 EDT, JB wrote:

It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last wee.

What say you?

JB

Sounds about right. I add 5-12 minutes worth (on a timer) almost every day.
The plants really suck it up when it is hot, besides splash and
evaporation. We're looking at 3 day of triples, maybe more, but our
humidity is so low that it can be 100F and only feel like 90ish. Not that I
like 90ish, but I do appreciate dry over humid.

I checked my son's weather down in TX and with the heat index at one point
they were 117F today. Can you say OMG!? Cabin fever in July! ~ jan

A couple of years ago I bought a meter that attaches to my hose bib. Best
$50 I have spent, pond wise. In addition to knowing how much water I use (up
to 20 gallons/day in mid summer) it helps me learn of any leaks.

Old 28-07-2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Old 29-07-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Old 30-07-2010, 11:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:44:07 EDT, Joe wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

What kind of meter is that?

Jim

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.

Here's a $30 digital one on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-New...0445007&sr=8-1

Too bad you could be the first to review it.g

Jim

Old 31-07-2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 7/25/2010 3:00 PM, JB wrote:
It's been hitting the century mark here in central Arkansas with the
heat index several degrees above that. My 3,000 gallon pond had dropped
5 inches in the last week.

What say you?

JB

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

Old 31-07-2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
What kind of meter is that?

Here's the link:
http://shop.watermeters.com/product....FA8532934F957E
7C0F32.qscstrfrnt05?productId=6&categoryId=1

Guess it was more than $50. Still worth it though.
San Diego Joe

I have something a little different, around $35 I think. I have this one,
which is really easy to use. Click on, click in how many minutes, done.
http://www.grasslandcorp.com/sprinklers___timers.html
I also have one like this, and I like it the best:
http://www.blujay.com/item/New-RainM...090300-3230678
as I don't have to click the button 30-45 times, numerical keyboard lets me
type the time in. $40. These attach to the spigot. They can also be used on
a hose to water automatically, or add water automatically. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 31-07-2010, 12:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:37:36 EDT, JB wrote:

Looking at tonight's 7 day forecast, they're predicting over 100 degrees
for each of the next 7 days. Only 7 days above 100 so far but it looks
like it's heating up.

Ugh! We're cooling down for the weekend, low 90's, back up for the work
week, mid-90's. I can live with that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I like the toilet valve for filling because it runs prn. Just sits
there til the pond goes down a bit.

I am still interested in a meter to see how much actually is used.

Jim

I always worry that the valve will break and fill my pond with chlorinated
water.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM