GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   pollywogs and PH (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/193720-pollywogs-ph.html)

ReelMcKoi 14-09-2010 10:49 PM

pollywogs and PH

I just moved about 200 pollywogs from the catchbins under the garage
eves. It's soft rainwater and slightly acidic. The ponds are alkaline
with a higher PH. Anyone know if this will kill them?
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Phyllis and Jim 15-09-2010 06:06 AM

pollywogs and PH

I have never seen a discussion of ph for tadpoles. I don't know if the
change will kill them, but tadpoles do well in our pond, which is
cement lined. I doubt the ph per se will kill them. I don't know
about the shock of change. My bet would be on their hardiness. Do
you know the ph spread between the two environments.Let us know what
your experiment shows.

Jim

Pat 19-09-2010 08:44 PM

pollywogs and PH

On Sep 14, 4:49 pm, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:
I just moved about 200 pollywogs from the catchbins under the garage
eves. It's soft rainwater and slightly acidic. The ponds are alkaline
with a higher PH. Anyone know if this will kill them?

Have no fear from the water (hope you moved it along with the tads). I
have relocated many thousands of them similarly, without a single
casualty. Just be careful how you handle them, they're somewhat
fragile.