Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Time to winterize

Time to start the process here. Starts with pulling the taro plants from
the pond and putting them in a plastic tent with a no pest strip.... though
I'm half tempted to cut all them down.... I may have to give this some more
thought, as I try to simplify all pond chores.

How do others bring their tropicals in yet keep the bugs out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-10-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Time to start the process here. Starts with pulling the taro plants fro

the pond and putting them in a plastic tent with a no pest strip....
though
I'm half tempted to cut all them down.... I may have to give this some
more
thought, as I try to simplify all pond chores.

How do others bring their tropicals in yet keep the bugs out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Taros are horrible for mites. I use a systemic since nothing in the
ponds eat them. Lowes and Home Depot sell systemic insecticides.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-10-2010, 01:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our winterization is easier. I put plactic over the hyacinth in the
berm ponds and let the rest carry on. Most of the hyacinth will die,
but if even one makes it, we are good for next year. The rest of the
plants take care of themselves (although the deer are mowing the water
celery right now!).

Old 30-10-2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 2, 7:51 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Time to start the process here. Starts with pulling the taro plants from
the pond and putting them in a plastic tent with a no pest strip.... thou

gh
I'm half tempted to cut all them down.... I may have to give this some mo

re
thought, as I try to simplify all pond chores.

How do others bring their tropicals in yet keep the bugs out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I bring my inside and add a little bit of Dawn or whatever dish soap
is under the sink, to the water from time to time. This keeps the
aphids at bay. Sometimes I will just make up some suds and bursh them
on the leaves that start showing signs of buggers. Be sure to get the
underside of the leaves.
Also this winter, I am going to experiment with adding just a bit of
fertilizer from time to time to keep the plants strong and well fed.
I usually do not start getting aphids and bugs until middle of the
fall when the plants start to get weak. At least that was the case
this year (2010).

I will let you know how they are doing as the fall progress and winter
sets in.

W. Dale

Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:16:06 EDT, "W. Dale" wrote:

I bring my inside and add a little bit of Dawn or whatever dish soap
is under the sink, to the water from time to time. This keeps the
aphids at bay. Sometimes I will just make up some suds and bursh them
on the leaves that start showing signs of buggers. Be sure to get the
underside of the leaves.
Also this winter, I am going to experiment with adding just a bit of
fertilizer from time to time to keep the plants strong and well fed.
I usually do not start getting aphids and bugs until middle of the
fall when the plants start to get weak. At least that was the case
this year (2010).

I will let you know how they are doing as the fall progress and winter
sets in. W. Dale

The aphids came in with a vengeance, even after safer soaping the plants
and the next week spraying them off w/the hose. I will use the systemic
Carol mentioned next year. I've been Safer soaping them a couple of times
since I brought them inside.

My 2 tropical lilies each gave me a bloom, but the other coming buds aren't
going to make it, drat's. I'll be happy if I can get both to make it thru
the winter this year. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: