Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Super Cold Coming

Weather reports are predicting 3 consecutive days of sub freezing
temperature with drops into the single digits. We usually don't get that
cold so I have some concerns about my pond water becoming super chilled.
Last time this happened I draped a large plastic trap over the pond to
try and hold in some warmth. It seemed to work. I've left up the
bird/leave netting for the GBH so it will be a simple thing to toss the
tarp over the board supports for that.

Anyone else do anything out of the ordinary when the temperature gets
this low?

TIA.

JB

Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:

Weather reports are predicting 3 consecutive days of sub freezing
temperature with drops into the single digits. We usually don't get that
cold so I have some concerns about my pond water becoming super chilled.
Last time this happened I draped a large plastic trap over the pond to
try and hold in some warmth. It seemed to work. I've left up the
bird/leave netting for the GBH so it will be a simple thing to toss the
tarp over the board supports for that.

I suppose it depends a lot on what animals & plants you are caring
for--and how big your pond is.

Anyone else do anything out of the ordinary when the temperature gets
this low?

If the temp goes down to 0F at night- and isn't due to go above 20F
the next day, I plug my stock tank heater in. Otherwise the heat
from the pump keeps things moving.

The only fish I have are Rosy Reds. They come out to the opening
below the falls some days to see if the world is still here. Otherwise
they hang out in the deep end that is covered with ice and snow.

The tender plants are in the basement under lights.

I love the pond in winter. The ice comes and goes on a whim, and it
never looks the same 2 days in a row.

Jim

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jackson is going to have 20, 17 and 18 degrees over the next three
nights. That is not a record, but it is close. My ponds will all
have ice on them. I am glad the fish don't care!

Jim

Old 13-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ice on half our pond. Not too thick. Two more nights in the teens
and low twenties. Nearly a record around here!

Jim
(Jackson, MS)

Old 16-01-2011, 03:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:46:28 EST, JB wrote:

Weather reports are predicting 3 consecutive days of sub freezing
temperature with drops into the single digits. We usually don't get that
cold so I have some concerns about my pond water becoming super chilled.
Last time this happened I draped a large plastic trap over the pond to
try and hold in some warmth. It seemed to work. I've left up the
bird/leave netting for the GBH so it will be a simple thing to toss the
tarp over the board supports for that.

Anyone else do anything out of the ordinary when the temperature gets
this low?

TIA.

JB

Hiya JB, we just came thru some cold temps that for the 1st time the pipes,
even with protection, froze up. Pump saved itself by blowing off the pipe
and was circulating within the pump chamber. Normally if we lose power
everything is set to self drain. No lost of power, so I'm not sure how ice
built up enough to freeze the pipes, but since there is a connection to the
water fall (turned off, and another to water change, perhaps freezing
started there and worked into the flowing area? This area is above ground
but protected with a Styrofoam cover and wrapping within.

My DS had everything thawed by the time I got home from work and thankfully
our cold snap ended the same day as it got up to 40F. Did a purge on the
filter and then started things up again, thankful that pipes didn't crack.

DS wanted to secure the pump better, but I think it was good it blew off,
as surely there would have been more ice plus pressure and who knows. I
know it wasn't like that longer than 12-24 hours.

Another cold snap had me tossing one of those chemical hand warmers into
the cooler.

Currently we're having a heat wave, a couple days into the 60s and last
night's low was only 50F. Mini Spring. Pond temp is up to 43.7F! Fish are
active after an addition of fresh water today. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: