Old 22-03-2011, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default RCD Tripping

Hi all, I am hoping we have some electrician/ponders lurking about,
because since I started bringing my pond out of winter mode and turning
on the pumps etc, the spur that provides the electricity has been
interminantly tripping at the RCD. It seems to be getting worse and
sometimes its even tripping with no devices attached.
Is there any easy way to check what might be causing the problem armed
only with a multimeter? Even if I end up calling in an electrician it
would be nice to know if they are doing the right things.
Peter

Old 23-03-2011, 02:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:02:23 EDT, Peter wrote:

Hi all, I am hoping we have some electrician/ponders lurking about,
because since I started bringing my pond out of winter mode and turning
on the pumps etc, the spur that provides the electricity has been
interminantly tripping at the RCD. It seems to be getting worse and
sometimes its even tripping with no devices attached.
Is there any easy way to check what might be causing the problem armed
only with a multimeter? Even if I end up calling in an electrician it
would be nice to know if they are doing the right things.

Had this on ours a few years ago. Turned out to be rodents chewing the
cable and the solution was to replace it.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old 23-03-2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 3/22/2011 4:02 PM, Peter wrote:
Hi all, I am hoping we have some electrician/ponders lurking about,
because since I started bringing my pond out of winter mode and turning
on the pumps etc, the spur that provides the electricity has been
interminantly tripping at the RCD. It seems to be getting worse and
sometimes its even tripping with no devices attached.
Is there any easy way to check what might be causing the problem armed
only with a multimeter? Even if I end up calling in an electrician it
would be nice to know if they are doing the right things.
Peter

For whatever reason, in the early spring, ants are attracted to my
outdoor GFI outlet to build their nest/den/whatever it's called. I've
been buying replacement GFIs in a 3 -pack since I seem to have to
replace them a couple of times a year because of this.

Old 27-03-2011, 12:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:28:00 EDT, JB wrote:

On 3/22/2011 4:02 PM, Peter wrote:
Hi all, I am hoping we have some electrician/ponders lurking about,
because since I started bringing my pond out of winter mode and turning
on the pumps etc, the spur that provides the electricity has been
interminantly tripping at the RCD. It seems to be getting worse and
sometimes its even tripping with no devices attached.
Is there any easy way to check what might be causing the problem armed
only with a multimeter? Even if I end up calling in an electrician it
would be nice to know if they are doing the right things.
Peter

For whatever reason, in the early spring, ants are attracted to my
outdoor GFI outlet to build their nest/den/whatever it's called. I've
been buying replacement GFIs in a 3 -pack since I seem to have to
replace them a couple of times a year because of this.

JB, you might want to move the picnic away from the GFI. ;-)

~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Water feature pump tripping ELCB tommymcg Ponds 5 21-08-2007 01:14 PM
GFI is tripping--- Joan Ponds 28 15-07-2004 05:03 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 15 27-02-2004 05:37 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 0 24-02-2004 05:29 PM