Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default One hyacinth made it

Happy day!

We thought all of our hyacinth had frozen last winter. They all
appeared to be sinking. Then, from the margin of the small pond,
under an overlap, one lone hyacinth has poked out leaves. Now we can
literally count the rate of multiplication. Nice turn of events as we
had been planning to go on a voyage to the reservoir 25 miles away to
get some. That route would have meant treating for parasites, etc.

Old 25-05-2011, 12:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The lone hyacinth is multiplying. It has sent out a child plant. I
will track the multiplication rate.

Old 14-06-2011, 01:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 25 May 2011 06:45:14 EDT, Jim wrote:

The lone hyacinth is multiplying. It has sent out a child plant. I
will track the multiplication rate.

It has been 2-3 weeks, how's the lonely only doing? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It is now two months since the lone hyacinth began multiplying. It is
really clear that they have a 'cover-the-surface' strategy. The many
hyacinths are sending out babies on 8" stems, going in various
directions.They cover about 4' x 6' of the 4 x 8 berm pond. They
cannot take over the remainder as I have parrots feather in the
remainder of the pond. When they hit the side, they send stems in
other directions. They have not started to grow tall, but I expect
that will come next.

I was also given a small group of water lettuce. It was about 6"
across when I put it in the other 4 x 8 berm pond. It liked its
home! The entire 4 x 8 surface is now covered with water lettuce. It
has outdone the hyacinth for surface coverage! Amazing, i didn't
think that could happen.

When I put either in the main pond with the koi, the roots get eaten
and the plants slow or die. If I have 4 x 6 of hyacinth inthe main
pond, it appears to be critical mass and it can hold its own against
the koi. Water lettuce have never been able to do more than not die.
Usually, it gets decimated by the koi.

I guess the warm summer has done its thing!

If anyone needs hyacinth or lettuce or water celery or parrots
feather, let me know. I would be happy to send you a small box for
the postage.

Jim