GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Great Blue Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/197302-great-blue-problem.html)

Jim[_25_] 07-05-2011 01:03 PM

Great Blue Problem

This morning not all the food was eaten in my berm breeding pond. I
wondered. Later, when I went out, a GBH flew away. I hope the fish
are scared rather than gone! I will begin a southern counter stalk
for the heron. Choice between fish and heron is not hard.

Jim[_25_] 07-05-2011 11:46 PM

Great Blue Problem

I have seen the bird 3 times., The berm pond seems empty. It has not
got anything I can see from the main pond. It has got to go.

~ jan[_3_] 15-05-2011 12:53 PM

Great Blue Problem

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:46:26 EDT, Jim wrote:

I have seen the bird 3 times., The berm pond seems empty. It has not
got anything I can see from the main pond. It has got to go.

Not sure what got to go means, and/or what your landscaping is like, but
the threaded fishing line along the top of the fence and over the pond from
fence to deck has kept them from coming back for a 2nd helping here.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

kathy[_3_] 15-05-2011 12:53 PM

Great Blue Problem

He's a bad, bad bird. He is also federally protected.

k :-)

Phyllis and Jim 15-05-2011 07:26 PM

Great Blue Problem

Yes, the federal protection is a life saver! Right now, the pond is
empty, so he is not back. The main pond is too deep to fish in. I
will let the upper pond be covered by plants before putting more fish
in. I suppose I could think about motion activated sprinklers.

Phyllis and Jim 20-05-2011 12:51 PM

Great Blue Problem

Must be the empty pond! The GBH has not come back since he tried for
two days to get at the fish in the main pond. The berm is empty. I
will have to think about that issue next time I put some fish up there
to breed. Turns out that insetead of breed, they become feed.

Jim[_25_] 25-05-2011 11:45 AM

Sco Heron 3 - Goldfish 3

I cleaned the berm ponds today. It turns out that 3 of the 6 goldfish
got away from the heron.

JB[_6_] 29-05-2011 11:24 AM

Great Blue Problem

On 5/7/2011 7:03 AM, Jim wrote:
This morning not all the food was eaten in my berm breeding pond. I
wondered. Later, when I went out, a GBH flew away. I hope the fish
are scared rather than gone! I will begin a southern counter stalk
for the heron. Choice between fish and heron is not hard.

I bought a metal heron sculpture at a garden show this spring that I
placed out by my pond. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall. I'd had problems with
GBH in the past but I've not seen one near the pond since placing the
yard art out there. I think GBHs are pretty solitary birds. Maybe they
think that one has already staked out my pond so they go elsewhere.

Phyllis and Jim 30-05-2011 10:57 AM

Great Blue Problem

A sculpture is a nice idea. The only one we have is a 3' sasquatch
our son got us for Christmas. It has not scared the heron.

[email protected] 30-05-2011 08:02 PM

Great Blue Problem

In message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

A sculpture is a nice idea. The only one we have is a 3' sasquatch
our son got us for Christmas. It has not scared the heron.

Sometimes the fake Heron can actually encourage a Heron to visit as
opposed to scare one off.

Stephen.

Phyllis and Jim 31-05-2011 12:05 PM

Great Blue Problem

Crock sounds even better!

Galen Hekhuis 02-06-2011 02:50 AM

Great Blue Problem

On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:02:59 EDT, wrote:

I got a crocodile which herons cannot ignore as their winter homes have alligators.

I wonder if Great Blue Herons can tell the difference? Anyway, I'll

bet you have a fake alligator, as crocodiles are found in the US only

on the southernmost part of Florida, while alligators are found

throughout the southeast. While they look lazy and slow, they are

capable of incredible bursts of speed, as many pet owners have found.

W. Dale[_2_] 04-06-2011 03:15 PM

Great Blue Problem

On May 15, 5:53 am, kathy wrote:
He's a bad, bad bird. He is also federally protected.

k :-)

Blue "chickens" are federally protected???? Dang! Maybe that is why
they are so tough! You have to use 'em in a soup or the like, cause
frying 'em up they are still tough!
Well ... shoot! Protected, huh? :-) :-)

~ jan[_3_] 11-06-2011 11:34 AM

Great Blue Problem

LOL!!!! Omy! ~ jan

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 10:15:25 EDT, wrote:

http://www.thirdage.com/news/fake-al...ent_06-03-2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:02:59 EDT, wrote:
I got a crocodile which herons cannot ignore as their winter homes have alligators.

-------------
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Jim[_25_] 03-07-2011 11:43 AM

Great Blue Problem

The heron has not come back since he cleaned out my pond. He gave up
on the main pond as it has no place for him to get to the fish. The
berm ponds are now covered in plants, so s/he can't see the fish to
take them. I am guessing it takes a look from time to time.

Problem ended for both the heron and for us.