GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   fish experts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/198767-fish-experts.html)

Robby1 09-07-2011 11:00 AM

fish experts

I have three shubunkins and I am worried. The two continuously chase the other. They seem to target the others' gills. Is this normal and if not is there anything that can be done. HELP

~ jan[_3_] 10-07-2011 01:33 PM

fish experts

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 11:16:15 EDT, Robby1
wrote:
I have three shubunkins and I am worried. The two continuously chase the
other. They seem to target the others' gills. Is this normal and if not
is there anything that can be done. HELP

Normal, sounds like you have 1 girl and 2 boys, and the boys are trying to
get the girl to spawn/lay eggs and fertilize them. You might want to get a
couple more girls to give that 1 a rest... course in a few weeks your 3
will have made more if you have enough cover for the fry to grow up.

I find myself looking and watching for baby fish more than I do looking at
my adults. I've got these big beautiful fish that swim so gracefully and
here I am looking for these tiny gray babies, what's with that?! :-/ ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Robby1 13-07-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ jan[_3_] (Post 929776)
wrote:
I have three shubunkins and I am worried. The two continuously chase the
other. They seem to target the others' gills. Is this normal and if not
is there anything that can be done. HELP

Normal, sounds like you have 1 girl and 2 boys, and the boys are trying to
get the girl to spawn/lay eggs and fertilize them. You might want to get a
couple more girls to give that 1 a rest... course in a few weeks your 3
will have made more if you have enough cover for the fry to grow up.

I find myself looking and watching for baby fish more than I do looking at
my adults. I've got these big beautiful fish that swim so gracefully and
here I am looking for these tiny gray babies, what's with that?! :-/ ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
JJ's Ponds

Many thank I will keep an eye out, cheers