Old 23-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Oldham, Greater Manchester
Default When to stop feeding pond goldfish and can I take out filter and pump

I stopped feeding the pond goldfish a week ago after the first frost. Since then it has got warmer and fish have risen to the top of the pond. Should I resume feeding or leave it till Spring. Also Ive taken the pump and filter out as I have been told its safe to do so in Winter. Any advice welcomed
Old 23-12-2011, 09:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:23:46 EST, David Wright
wrote:

I stopped feeding the pond goldfish a week ago after the first frost.
Since then it has got warmer and fish have risen to the top of the pond.
Should I resume feeding or leave it till Spring. Also Ive taken the pump
and filter out as I have been told its safe to do so in Winter. Any
advice welcomed

I know all of us get into this hobby to keep fish, when it really is a
"keep water" hobby. Anything you feed the fish is normally to feed the
filter to keep all things (bacteria, plants, fish) fed and the water at its
best. My fish go from end of Oct till March/April w/o being fed, so your
fish do not need to be fed.... and even though it has warmed it, it could
go cold very soon during this time of year. If they're truly hungry they'll
munch on the algae along the sides and the occassional gnat or worm that
falls in.

On the koi pond I have the filter running all winter with a slower moving
pump. HTHs, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-01-2012, 10:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

What size pond do you have? What kind of filter?

Like ~jan I leave my pump running all winter long through my
bio-filter/falls. If I were to turn it off all of the bacteria in my
filter would die. I'm guessing that you start every spring with a
healthy dose of pea soup colored water while your filter's bacteria gets
re-populated.

Rate This Thread: