GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Papyrus in pond? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/201618-papyrus-pond.html)

Phyllis and Jim 15-08-2011 12:36 PM

Papyrus in pond?

I got three dwarf papyrus plants from my son. They seem to be
thriving in their pots. Has anyone tried them either standing in a
pot in a stream or wetfoot in a pot actually in the pond?

artleknock 15-08-2011 11:00 PM

Papyrus in pond?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 07:36:44 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I got three dwarf papyrus plants from my son. They seem to be
thriving in their pots. Has anyone tried them either standing in a
pot in a stream or wetfoot in a pot actually in the pond?

No.
Give it a go and tell us what happens.

~ jan[_3_] 16-08-2011 02:19 PM

Papyrus in pond?

wrote:

I got three dwarf papyrus plants from my son. They seem to be
thriving in their pots. Has anyone tried them either standing in a
pot in a stream or wetfoot in a pot actually in the pond?

I thought papyrus was suppose to be in the pond? These are not? I've had
the big version in the pond, have never seen dwarf, bet they would do great
in a stream. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Jim[_25_] 16-08-2011 02:19 PM

Papyrus in pond?

I am starting with one of them in the stream. It is one of two
returning to the pond and perhaps 1/2" deep. That will give the pot
'marsh-like' root space. The other pot is out of the pond for
comparison.

Chip Wood 16-08-2011 10:48 PM

Papyrus in pond?

wrote:

I got three dwarf papyrus plants from my son. They seem to be
thriving in their pots. Has anyone tried them either standing in a
pot in a stream or wetfoot in a pot actually in the pond?

I thought papyrus was suppose to be in the pond? These are not? I've had
the big version in the pond, have never seen dwarf, bet they would do great
in a stream. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Wasn't Moses found floating in the papyrus or was that bullrushes?

Chip

JB[_6_] 18-08-2011 12:17 PM

Papyrus in pond?

wrote:

I got three dwarf papyrus plants from my son. They seem to be
thriving in their pots. Has anyone tried them either standing in a
pot in a stream or wetfoot in a pot actually in the pond?

I thought papyrus was suppose to be in the pond? These are not? I've had
the big version in the pond, have never seen dwarf, bet they would do great
in a stream. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

They do well but can't take it during the winter if it gets really cold.
I used to over winter them inside but always seemed to get red spider
mites on them. Then, I started leaving them outside. All went well until
it got really cold one year.

JB

Jim[_25_] 18-08-2011 12:18 PM

Papyrus in pond?

Moses was found amoun the bulrushes, looks like long rounded grass
growing in water. He probably read things of papyrus as it was used
to make paper (whence our word! 'papyr'). Some of the earliest New
Testament manuscript pieces he have are on papyrus.

~ jan[_3_] 22-08-2011 12:36 PM

Papyrus in pond?

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:17:53 EDT, JB wrote:

They do well but can't take it during the winter if it gets really cold.
I used to over winter them inside but always seemed to get red spider
mites on them. Then, I started leaving them outside. All went well until
it got really cold one year.

JB

Regarding bugs coming in on tropical plants, this year I'm spraying mine
with a systemic once they come out of the pond for their stay inside. It
will have dissipated by the time spring rolls around. Bet that would work
on papyrus also. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us