Old 28-08-2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Yellowing hyacinths

After a great start, my hyacinths are going yellow. They live in my
berm pond. In previous years, they have thrived and grown to 18".
This year they covered the 4 x 8 pond and stopped at 4". Then they
turned yellow.

My observations:
1. I have water lettuce in the other berm pond. It grew to cover the
pond and is 5" deep. Maybe the hyacinth can't compete.
2. My pond water is perfectly clear this year (and the usuao tea
color). That is unusual and suggests little nutrition for the stuff
that used to clog it.
3. The water lettuce has also grown little this year.
4. I tossed some of the hyacinth in my shallow pond below the falls.
The pond has muck in the bottom. The hyacinth turned dark green.
5. I put some of the green hyacinth back into the berm pond. It
yellowed.

Conclusion: Low to no nutrients in the water or the hyacinth can't
compete with the lettuce.

Other ideas?

Old 28-08-2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:39:54 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

[...]

Yellowing WH often means clean water. When I had more fish I could grow
them in the top of the pre-filter, not any more... even the water cress
that is free floating in a basket is anemic, yet is grows green and great
where its roots are in contact with soil on the sides of the pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-08-2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I guess it mewans 'too' clean water. I know that I need to keep my
3/4 acre pond NOT clear with nutrients for the bass and brim to have
food! There we put in missing nutrients if the water gets too clear.
My koi pond is totally clear. I guess the hyacinths can't compete for
the limited nutrients and the ones in the shallow pond below the falls
can get to nutrients. Hmmm...the water celery has muck beneath it. I
can try to put some hyacinth in that pond to see how they do. I could
also chuck some of the water lettuce that is thriving.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 08:32:37 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I guess it mewans 'too' clean water. I know that I need to keep my
3/4 acre pond NOT clear with nutrients for the bass and brim to have
food! There we put in missing nutrients if the water gets too clear.
My koi pond is totally clear. I guess the hyacinths can't compete for
the limited nutrients and the ones in the shallow pond below the falls
can get to nutrients. Hmmm...the water celery has muck beneath it. I
can try to put some hyacinth in that pond to see how they do. I could
also chuck some of the water lettuce that is thriving.

If you put WH where its roots dangling into soil, it will green up.... at
least it has for me. I did mess with any WH this year. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It is an issue of water vs soil. The hyacinths green up well in the
shallow, muck filled waterfall pond. They yellow in the berm ponds
and in the main pond...where their roots are in the water.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Grape Hyacinths Michael United Kingdom 39 12-04-2003 01:20 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 03:33 AM
hyacinths Sabaa Mundia Gardening 1 27-03-2003 07:32 PM
Hyacinths in New York Polar Gardening 4 25-03-2003 06:20 PM
Grape hyacinths JennyC United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 12:29 PM