Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Helping frogs survive winter

I just saw a recommendation about adding a tray of sand to help frogs

survive winter. Anybody know anymore about this, should the sand be wet,

how much sand depth? etc.

--

Nik Simpson

Old 15-10-2011, 02:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The sand is going to be on the bottom of the pond, so yeah... it's gonna be
wet. Personally I don't see the need, but I could wrong. I have tree frogs
here and they winter in the yard under mulch/leaves. ~ jan

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:02:40 EDT, nik Simpson wrote:

I just saw a recommendation about adding a tray of sand to help frogs

survive winter. Anybody know anymore about this, should the sand be wet,

how much sand depth? etc.

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-10-2011, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hey Nik (Southern greeting),

Out bullfrogs and brown frogs just go to the bottom of the barrels and
berm ponds. There is no sand, only pond liner or barrel bottom (They
are scraping the bottom of the barrel :}) They do fine there and come
up awake in the spring. If you have any plants in your pond, they may
find a way into or under them. Our main pond frogs generally go under
the planters, which have been lifted by cinder blocks. If we put sand
in the main pond, the koi would dig it up.

Jim

Old 20-10-2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I will chime in and agree with everyone.
I have a renegade bullfrog who winters over in
our pond with no accommodations.

k :-)

Rate This Thread: