GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   John Innes No3 soil with fish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/201629-john-innes-no3-soil-fish.html)

john east 24-10-2011 03:32 PM

John Innes No3 soil with fish

I want to put some water plants in my Acquarium in small pots with soil. My
thinking is to put John Innes No3 in the pots and then cover it with gravel
to stop the soil washing out.

Is the john innes in the pots likely to cause any problems for the fish?

john east 27-10-2011 08:06 PM

John Innes No3 soil with fish

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:32:21 EDT, "john east"
wrote:

I want to put some water plants in my Acquarium in small pots with soil.
My
thinking is to put John Innes No3 in the pots and then cover it with
gravel
to stop the soil washing out.

Is the john innes in the pots likely to cause any problems for the fish?

All JI composts contain added fertilisers: nitrogen, phosphorus and
potassium. The nitrogen is probably in the form of ammonium sulphate,
or possibly potassium nitrate, which may well harm the fish and will
certainly encourage algae. Why not use pure gravel?

Chris

================================================== ===========================================

Chris thanks. These plants came in small pots with just sponge around the
stem and held in place with with wire. No roots or growing medium was in the
pot.

The plants are just not happy and are going down hill, and since I dont have
any sand or soil in the acquarium at all, I felt that the roots needed
something 'more natural' to give them some nutrition.

Maybe I could use some JI no3 from an old plant pot in the garden, where I
guess a lot of the initial, N,Phos, and potassium may have been dissapated?
Perhaps a tiny bit in the pot wont harm anything? As far as i can see (being
a complete novice) its the only chance these plants will have?

~ jan[_3_] 14-11-2011 04:42 PM

John Innes No3 soil with fish

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:06:51 EDT, "john east"
wrote:

================================================= ============================================

Chris thanks. These plants came in small pots with just sponge around the
stem and held in place with with wire. No roots or growing medium was in the
pot.

The plants are just not happy and are going down hill, and since I dont have
any sand or soil in the acquarium at all, I felt that the roots needed
something 'more natural' to give them some nutrition.

What kind of lighting do you have for the plants mentioned? ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

john stone 13-08-2012 01:46 PM

wrote:

================================================ =============================================

Chris thanks. These plants came in small pots with just sponge around the
stem and held in place with with wire. No roots or growing medium was in
the
pot.

The plants are just not happy and are going down hill, and since I dont
have
any sand or soil in the acquarium at all, I felt that the roots needed
something 'more natural' to give them some nutrition.

What kind of lighting do you have for the plants mentioned? ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

flourescent tube

~ jan[_3_] 14-08-2012 03:52 AM

John Innes No3 soil with fish

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:46:05 EDT, "john stone"
wrote:

Chris thanks. These plants came in small pots with just sponge around the
stem and held in place with with wire. No roots or growing medium was in
the pot.

The plants are just not happy and are going down hill, and since I dont
have any sand or soil in the acquarium at all, I felt that the roots needed
something 'more natural' to give them some nutrition.

- - - -
What kind of lighting do you have for the plants mentioned? ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

flourescent tube

Just one? Wattage? Only thing I know that will grow with a standard 15 watt
fluorescent tube is java fern. Everything else takes a lot more
power/light. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

JB[_6_] 15-08-2012 12:36 AM

wrote:

[...]

Somehow I missed out on the start of this thread. Not sure of the size
of your tank, type of fish kept, water type (fresh/brackish/salt). I had
good success growing plants in my 60 gallon fresh water aquarium with an
under gravel filter. I can't remember my bulb wattage but it was a lot
more than 15 watts for sure.

Good luck.