GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Outdoor thermostat and pond heater (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/202093-outdoor-thermostat-pond-heater.html)

[email protected] 06-02-2012 03:52 PM

Outdoor thermostat and pond heater

Management is concerned that the goldfish in the pond are, as last year,
going to die if the pond is frozen over for anything more than a few
hours, so it looks as though I need a heater, a thermostat to turn the
heater on when the temperature drops to ~0ºC, and an outdoor socket.

Toolstation do a suitable socket
(http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p77440), Seapets sell a heater
(http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/po...ef=googlebase),
but I can't find a thermostat.

Anyone able to suggest a source for the thermostat? Comments on the
socket and heater would also be welcome.

~ jan[_3_] 07-02-2012 06:07 AM

(
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p77440), Seapets sell a heater
(http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/po...ef=googlebase),
but I can't find a thermostat.

Anyone able to suggest a source for the thermostat? Comments on the
socket and heater would also be welcome.

Most pond and/or stock tank heaters have a built in thermostat, usually
somewhat primitive, but they still work. I don't know anything about the
one shown, but can tell you that a stock heater will turn off at somewhere
around 34F to 45F (or 0 Celsius to 10 degrees warmer) before they
automatically shut off. Why I have mine on a remote control switch so it
only has power during the coldest days of weather. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

a425couple 17-02-2012 02:37 PM

wrote in message .co.uk...
Management is concerned that the goldfish in the pond are, as last year,
going to die if the pond is frozen over for anything more than a few
hours,

Well,,,, maybe "management" knows more about it than
I do (certainly wouldn't be hard !).
But in my experience, in a climate generally similar
to the UK (USA PacificNW), that in winter my
ponds would sometimes freeze over for 7-10-14 days,
and when naturally thawed, the goldfish were still
fine.