Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Moderator announce: Closing rec.ponds.moderated - Your recommendations?

On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We have come to the time when server fees are due for rpm. Looking at
the low volume of usenet traffic and the increasing popularity of free
social media, the moderation team recommends that we not renew the
contract for the server and that we consider going to free social
media.

There are other groups available and we could start our own. The team
would like to start a discussion to see what options people might
like.

Any opinions?

It's a slow time of the year so that would contribute to the lack of
postings but I'd hate to not have this resource available. What do our
options look like if we do as you suggest and use "free social media".
Are you talking a Facebook page or something like that?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I appreciate your liking of this group as a resource. Phyllis and I have written and followed it for years! The fee for the server is $100 per year. Social media are free and seem to be mnore often visited.

I was thinking Facebook or google groups. There are also other existing groups such as pure gold.

The advantage of a facebook or google group is visibility. People go there randomly, a lot. usenet is not like that.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 19:47:35 EST, JB wrote:

On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We have come to the time when server fees are due for rpm. Looking at
the low volume of usenet traffic and the increasing popularity of free
social media, the moderation team recommends that we not renew the
contract for the server and that we consider going to free social
media.

There are other groups available and we could start our own. The team
would like to start a discussion to see what options people might
like.

Any opinions?

It's a slow time of the year so that would contribute to the lack of
postings but I'd hate to not have this resource available. What do our
options look like if we do as you suggest and use "free social media".
Are you talking a Facebook page or something like that?

I personally have become a proud member of Koiphen, where everything isn't
just about high-end koi. There are many water gardener and goldfish
hobbyists too. I have noted though that free rec.ponds has quieted down. I
haven't downloaded it for months and after doing so tonight there are only
10 posts. Haven't looked to see if they're legit pond posts or not as of
yet. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: