Old 18-03-2012, 04:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Vinegar & Oil - OT

Okay, not exactly on-topic, but I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, and
granted Vinegar & Oil sounds like a better topping on fish, then anything
else, but I like it as a low cal dressing.

So here's my question, I mixed up Mother's Vinegar & Grapeola Oil. Does
this need to be refrigerated after opening? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-03-2012, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 3/17/2012 11:05 PM, ~ jan wrote:
Okay, not exactly on-topic, but I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, and
granted Vinegar& Oil sounds like a better topping on fish, then anything
else, but I like it as a low cal dressing.

So here's my question, I mixed up Mother's Vinegar& Grapeola Oil. Does
this need to be refrigerated after opening? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I remember seeing this concoction on setting out on tables in many
eating establishments growing up. I think you could probably be safe for
a few days but don't hold me to this.

Old 18-03-2012, 11:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:41:42 EDT, JB wrote:

On 3/17/2012 11:05 PM, ~ jan wrote:
Okay, not exactly on-topic, but I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, and
granted Vinegar& Oil sounds like a better topping on fish, then anything
else, but I like it as a low cal dressing.

So here's my question, I mixed up Mother's Vinegar& Grapeola Oil. Does
this need to be refrigerated after opening? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I remember seeing this concoction on setting out on tables in many
eating establishments growing up. I think you could probably be safe for
a few days but don't hold me to this.

I think you're probably right JB, though we did put it in the frig as the
bottle of vinegar itself says to refrigerate after opening. I just have to
remember to set it out soon enough before dinner to let it get to room temp
when it tastes best, imo. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-03-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:52:54 EDT, wrote:

I dont refrigerate vinegar or oil after opening. And grape oil is supposed to be
anti-microbial
http://www.homeremediesweb.com/grape...h-benefits.php

If there isnt anything that NEEDS to be refrigerated in the mix, just mixing shouldnt
be a problem. Of course, adding crushed garlic which is also antimicrobial would be
great benefit. I think the frig is used more to slow taste degradation of
ingredients by oxidation with oxygen rather than worry about microbes.

Ingrid

I think the frig is used more to slow taste degradation

Oooh, good point. I can't put garlic in anything as DS is very sensitive to
it, and that is such a bummer! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-03-2012, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Okay, not exactly on-topic, but I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, and
granted Vinegar & Oil sounds like a better topping on fish, then anything
else, but I like it as a low cal dressing.

So here's my question, I mixed up Mother's Vinegar & Grapeola Oil. Does
this need to be refrigerated after opening? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Just bake the fish as I do. The oil will add calories. I give it a
light spray of Pam and that's it.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.