GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Adopting fish (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/203151-adopting-fish.html)

Phyllis and Jim 17-04-2012 08:24 PM

Adopting fish

This week we adopted a half dozen nice goldfish from a neighbor. It seemed a lot of work to isolate them, so we poped them in. Her pond had been healthy for a decade. Risky...probably.

Anyone have really good ideas about quck quarantine?

~ jan[_3_] 19-04-2012 06:57 PM

Adopting fish

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:24:41 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

This week we adopted a half dozen nice goldfish from a neighbor. It seemed a lot of work to isolate them, so we poped them in. Her pond had been healthy for a decade. Risky...probably.

Anyone have really good ideas about quck quarantine?

Quick quarantine? None exist. One is probably safer from an established
pond than coming from a pet shop or dealer. Regardless, the biggest risk in
such a situation is how their immunity stands up to the buggies in your
pond and same with your current fish to whatever the new recruits bring in.
A salt dip of the newbies probably wouldn't have hurt. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us