Old 26-07-2012, 10:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water Lily Pads Burn @ 108 degrees

Well, it's official. They do well up to 108 and full sun but beyond that
they bake to a crisp. We hit that temperature last week and the next day
they were turning brown and becoming brittle. If like last year they'll
all die off in a couple of weeks.

Water lettuce seems to love the heat though. Normally I'm throwing them
in the mulch bin but this year the fish are going to need them for shade.

JB

Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:39 EDT, JB wrote:

Well, it's official. They do well up to 108 and full sun but beyond that
they bake to a crisp. We hit that temperature last week and the next day
they were turning brown and becoming brittle. If like last year they'll
all die off in a couple of weeks.

Water lettuce seems to love the heat though. Normally I'm throwing them
in the mulch bin but this year the fish are going to need them for shade.

JB

I've been hearing that many ponders are putting up shade when they've never
had to before. Any chance you could do that? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 8/1/2012 12:07 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:39 EDT, wrote:

Well, it's official. They do well up to 108 and full sun but beyond that
they bake to a crisp. We hit that temperature last week and the next day
they were turning brown and becoming brittle. If like last year they'll
all die off in a couple of weeks.

Water lettuce seems to love the heat though. Normally I'm throwing them
in the mulch bin but this year the fish are going to need them for shade.

JB

I've been hearing that many ponders are putting up shade when they've never
had to before. Any chance you could do that? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I've thought about putting up a tarp over the pond but never got around
to it. My wife bought me some water lettuce at the start of the season
and it loves the heat. I'd say that I have 80%+ surface coverage of
water lettuce. In fact, they're growing so quickly that I started
tossing some in the mulch pile recently. I thought I'd leave it until
the heat breaks.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:59:52 EDT, JB wrote:

On 8/1/2012 12:07 AM, ~ jan wrote:
[...]

A few years ago my pond was so densely covered with water lettuce that
a visiting cat tried to walk across. It didn't get far.
That reminds me, a friend from Uganda told me once that the water
lettuce went all the way to the horizon on lake Victoria.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 8/5/2012 7:41 AM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:59:52 EDT, wrote:

On 8/1/2012 12:07 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:39 EDT, wrote:

A few years ago my pond was so densely covered with water lettuce that
a visiting cat tried to walk across. It didn't get far.
That reminds me, a friend from Uganda told me once that the water
lettuce went all the way to the horizon on lake Victoria.

Steve

It does grow fast doesn't it. I'm carrying about 1/2 bushel basket
equivalent to the mulch pile each day. I went out last night to feed and
had trouble finding a clear spot to toss the food into.

A co-worker of mine says her Koi eat her water lettuce but mine don't
seem to care for it. They do (did) love Water Hyacinths though but alas,
those can no longer be sold in my state.

JB

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our koi eat trhe roots of the hyacinth, but they ignore the lettuce.

Rate This Thread: